In Dutch we have:
    1. vos (generic name)
    2. rekel (male)
    3. moervos (female)

Groetjes,

Frank

Alijsh

Persian - Iran
    Persian: rubâh (Persian is gender-neutral. If we want to indicate gender we use "male X" and "female X")

spakh

Anatolian Turkish
    Turkish,

tilki

No genders but we can say 'erkek tilki' and 'dişi tilki' for male and female ones.

ulala_eu

Galician and Spanish (Spain)
    In Galician:
    raposa - female
    raposo - male
    Anyway, both raposo and raposa can be used as the generic form, it depends on the Galician of each area.

Qcumber

UK English
    French: Renard (masculine), une renarde would be the feminine form.
    The original French name was "goupil". It was replaced by "renard" - female: renarde; cub: renardeau; possibly renardelle for the female cub -due to the success of the novel "Le Roman de Renart" (12th-13th c.). Its German equivalent is Reinhart Fuchs (ca. 1180)
    Renart > Renard was the name of the fox in the story, and meant German / Frankish Rein Hardt "pure heart".

J.F. de TROYES

francais-France
    In Burmese:

မြေခွေး /mye khuè/
    Literally: "an earth-dog" or "soil-dog". I don't know why.

Generally the gender is not mentioned. If necessary:

Masc. မြေခွေးဖို /mye khuè hpo/

Fem. မြေခွေးမ /mye khuè ma'/

xupxup

català - Spain
    In catalan we have at least three names I know:
    Guineu f. / (guineuot) m.
    Guilla f. /(guillot) m.
    Rabosa f.
    All three are femenine gender. And I don't think the masculine forms are very used, except for guillot maybe.

Qcumber

UK English
    "Lobo" in Tagalog
    No! Tag. lóbo "wolf" < Span. lobo "wolf".

There is no such thing as a fox or a wolf in the Philippines. They borrowed the Spanish terms for all such animals.

Span. zorro > Tag. sóro "fox"
    Span. zorra > Tag. sóra "she-fox"

pharabus

English
    No! Tag. lóbo "wolf" < Span. lobo "wolf".

There is no such thing as a fox or a wolf in the Philippines. They borrowed the Spanish terms for all such animals.

Span. zorro > Tag. sóro "fox"
    Span. zorra > Tag. sóra "she-fox"
    I should have guessed, I don't think my Fiancee realised the difference, her first choice was "Aso"! funnily enough there is a TV series starting on TFC called "Lobo" as well.

That will teach me to research more, also my Fiancee has never heard of "Soro", not that I am saying the word does not exist just it is not commonly used in Pangasinan at least.

Qcumber

UK English
    I should have guessed, I don't think my Fiancee realised the difference, her first choice was "Aso"! funnily enough there is a TV series starting on TFC called "Lobo" as well.
    That will teach me to research more, also my Fiancee has never heard of "Soro", not that I am saying the word does not exist just it is not commonly used in Pangasinan at least.
    Tag. áso = dog.

I don't think lóbo and sóro are commonly used in the Philippines for the simple reason these mammals do no exist in this archipelago and are seldom mentioned in the literature or the media.

Besides, generally speaking, Tagalogs - and this is probably true for other Filipinos - don't have a very rich vocabulary when it comes to naming certains categories of native animals. For instance they use the same term uláng for crayfish, lobster, rock lobster, some prawns, etc. Many confuse bees (pukyót) and wasps (putaktí). If you show informants the pictures of various Philippine butterflies, they all call them parú-paró, etc.

So, it is easy to understand the average person often has a hard time naming foreign animals and creatures.

In other words, if a thread asks about the name of a European animal in all languages, it will be impossible to get the native terms from countries that don't have these animals. :)

Zsanna

ModErrata
    Hungarian - Hungary
    Hungarian:

róka

Hungarian words don't have gender.
    So we'd put hím (1) or nőstény (2) before róka (indeed any animal's name) if we wanted to express whether the animal in question is masculin (1) or femnin (2).

It is a pure, strange coincidence but the French "goupil" (and from that "goupille") reminded me that the trigger on a weapon is called "ravasz" in Hungarian (meaning "cunning") an adjective that goes only too well with foxes...

rhosynyrhaf

USA English
    In Irish: sionnach, m, or madra rua, m (literally, red-furred dog)

vixen is simply "female fox": sionnach baineann, but the gender of sionnach (grammatically speaking) is still masculine

Sulizhen

Spanish
    In Galician:
    raposa - female
    raposo - male
    Anyway, both raposo and raposa can be used as the generic form, it depends on the Galician of each area.
    In Galician there is also another way to say it: golpe. It's always masculine (o golpe) :)

voja

Serbia; serbian
    Serbian / Croatian / Bosnian

Lisica - female and common used
    Lisac - male and less used
    Lis - male - archaic, rarely used

apmoy70

Greek
    Greek:

«Αλεπού» [a.leˈpu] (fem.) which is the generic name of the animal < Classical 3rd declension fem. noun «ἀλώπηξ» ălṓpēk͜s (nom. sing.), «ἀλώπεκος» ălṓpĕkŏs (gen. sing.).

The ancients also used the name «βασσάρᾱ» băssắrā (fem.) for the animal. Herodotus calls the word Libyan, which seems to be confirmed by the etymological connection with Coptic ⲃⲁϣⲟⲣ (bashor), fox. The Latin bassariscus, derives from the Greek word. Per Beekes «βασσάρᾱ» is Pre-Greek.

Yendred

Français - France
    The original French name was "goupil". It was replaced by "renard" - female: renarde; cub: renardeau; possibly renardelle for the female cub -due to the success of the novel "Le Roman de Renart" (12th-13th c.)
    It is a pure, strange coincidence but the French "goupil" (and from that "goupille") reminded me that the trigger on a weapon is called "ravasz" in Hungarian (meaning "cunning") an adjective that goes only too well with foxes...
    goupil is just a cognate of the Latin "vulpes", and consequently of the Italian volpe, the Romanian vulpe, ...

But you are right, goupille (weapon pin) comes from the fox's female old name, because of its resemblance with a fox tail, or because of the cunning of the device.

Last edited:

Sardokan1.0

Sardu / Italianu
    In Sardinian there are dozens of different names for the fox, often also adjectives or first names and their diminutives are used.

P.S.
    Unlike Italian where the "fox" is feminine, in Sardinian is masculine

These are the names I can remember :

• Central-northern Sardinia : Grodde, Lodde (perhaps from Late Latin "lurdus" = lurid), Mazzone (big mace; because of the tail like a mace)
    • Central Sardinia : Mazzone, Mariane (vocative of the first name Marianus), Baróre, Bobóre (diminutives of the first name Servadore, Serbadore - Latin "Servator"), Puzzinosu (it means "filthy, lurid"; it's also one of the nicknames of the devil).
    • Southern Sardinia : Mariani, Margiani, Mragiani (all derived from the first name Marianus)

spindlemoss

Welsh
    Welsh has two words. The feminine forms are derived from the masculine using -es.

llwynog "fox" and llwynoges "vixen" are more common

cadno "fox" and cadnawes "vixen" are found in the south, especially the south-west

< Previous | Next >