FR: Ça aide beauoup que + mode

< Previous | Next >

djweaverbeaver

NYC
English Atlanta, GA USA
Hello,

I have question about the proper mode following the above-mentioned expression. My inclination is to use the subjunctive, but I just want to make sure. Here are a couple examples.

Ça (m')aide beauoup que tu me dise ça/ que tu me soutiennes.
Ça (m')aide beauoup que tu n'aies pas oublié de cacher la réponse à la devinette.

Is the subjunctive mood correct here or should I use the indicative instead? Thanks in advance.

• geostan

English Canada
    Hello,

I have question about the proper mode following the above-mentioned expression. My inclination is to use the subjunctive, but I just want to make sure. Here are a couple examples.

Ça (m')aide beaucoup que tu me dises ça/ que tu me soutiennes.
    Ça (m')aide beaucoup que tu n'aies pas oublié de cacher la réponse à la devinette.

Is the subjunctive mood correct here or should I use the indicative instead? Thanks in advance.
    Assuming the structure is correct, the verb would be in the subjunctive, in the same way that it would in the following sentence:

Cela me plaît beaucoup que tu veuilles m'aider dans mes recherches.

But I can find no examples of the structure with aider in my dictionaries. I must say it sounds all right. This is another one for the native speakers, I think.

There is a structure similar to this that uses the preposition à, just like the infinitive construction. But this is not the same.

Aidez-nous à ce qu'il comprenne notre point de vue.

Nicomon

Langue française ♀
    Aidez-nous à ce qu'il comprenne notre point de vue.
    Hello,
    This sentence may be gramatically correct, however... it sounds very odd to my ears. I would say... Aidez-nous à lui faire comprendre notre point de vue.

I agree that djweaverbeaver's examples would take the subjunctive, but this structure wouldn't come to me naturally either.

Suggestion :
    C'est gentil/je te remercie de me dire ça/de me soutenir; cela m'aide beaucoup.

Let's face it... in general, subjunctive and I aren't very good friends. I have a tendency to avoid it whenever I can. But hey! that's just me.

< Previous | Next >