FR: a fait accepter

Salvage

USA English
The book is:
Grégoire, Henri. La Persécutions dans l'Empire Romain. Bruxelles: Palais des Académies, 1964.

I am lost in the grammar of the middle sentence of this passage in a footnote by historian Henri Grégoire.

« L'organization dioclétienne ne peut se comparer , pour la trace profonde et durable qu'elle a laissée, qu'à la Revolution française, couronnée par l'Empire. Le respect religieux qu'inspiraient les Augustes a fait accepter leur nouvelle politique religieuse, même par des esprits modérees et tolérants comme Constance Chlore, père de Constantin. Tous durent s'incliner, y compris les princesses, qui, en Occident comme en Orient, étaient, comme nous le savons, influencées par le christianisme .»

My effort is:
"The diocletian organization can only be compared, for the deep and profound mark that it left, to the French Revolution, crowned by the Empire. The religious respect that inspired the Augusti to accept their new religious politic, even through the spirit of moderation and tolerance like Constance Chlore, father of Constantine. All those obliged to be so inclined, including the princesses, who, in the East as in the West, were, as we understand it, influenced by Christianity."

But I am suspicious that this is a causative construction and I am not connecting things properly. Am I close?

• timbeau

English
    What about "Their new religious politics were generally accepted thanks to the religious respect that the Augusti inspired, even by moderate and tolerants souls like...". IMHO this gives the right sense, but could perhaps be better phrased.

Mikebo

English - UK
    Or:

"The religious respect which the Augusti inspired led to their new religious politics being accepted even by moderate and tolerant thinkers such as..."

[I interpret "esprits" to be "minds" thus, by metonymy, "thinkers"]

Notes:
    I think "Tous durent s'incliner..." could be translated as something like: "All had to yield (to it)..." [ie "bow" to it]

"comme nous le savons": I would translate this as it reads ie "as we know" rather than "as we understand it", which has a nuance of opinion or uncertainty about it that is not in the original (IMHO).

timbeau

English
    Or:

"The religious respect which the Augusti inspired led to their new religious politics being accepted even by moderate and tolerant thinkers such as..."

[I interpret "esprits" to be "minds" thus, by metonymy, "thinkers"]

Notes:
    I think "Tous durent s'incliner..." could be translated as something like: "All had to yield (to it)..." [ie "bow" to it]

"comme nous le savons": I would translate this as it reads ie "as we know" rather than "as we understand it", which has a nuance of opinion or uncertainty about it that is not in the original (IMHO).

Perfect!

< Previous | Next >