FR: adverb placement with compound tenses - place de l'adverbe aux temps composés

Discussion in 'French and English Grammar / Grammaire française et anglaise' started by verbivore, Sep 6, 2007.

1. verbivore Banned

USA, English
    With le passé composé, what is the rule for adverb placement when you have two adverbs, or long adverbs? Is it before or after the participle? Are there exceptions you can think of?

Examples:

Ils sont tombés amoureux l'un de l'autre. using 'très vite'

Il l'a compris. using 'extraordinairement vite'

Il l'a compris. using 'un peu'

2. tranniar Member

French
    Ils sont très vite tombés amoureux l'un de l'autre
    Ils sont tombés amoureux l'un de l'autre extraordinairement vite
    Ils sont un peu tombé....

I don't know if there's a rule or if it's juste spoken language!!! But i'm sure of my sentences

3. tilt

tilt Senior Member

Nord-Isère, France
    French French
    Ils sont extraordinairement vite tombés amoureux l'un de l'autre works fine too.
    Setting the adverb between the auxiliary and the participle is usually (always?) correct.

4. queenie10 Member

English, England
    Is it possible to place the adverb 'indubitablement' between the two parts of the conditional perfect, as in:

le classicisme aurait indubitablement triomphé sans lui

or can the aurait triomphé not be split?

Many thanks

5. Bléros Senior Member

Jax
    USA, English
    When you have a compound verb tense, the conjugated verb and the participle can always be split by an adverb. It is sometimes compulsory for some adverbs like trop, bien and mieux.

6. itka Senior Member

Nice, France
    français
    But I'd prefer "sans doute" or "sans aucun doute".
    "Indubitablement" is very heavy !

le classicisme aurait sans doute triomphé sans lui
    le classicisme aurait sans aucun doute triomphé sans lui

It takes place between the verb and the past participle, but, imho, it would be better to put it at the beginning of the sentence :
    sans aucun doute, le classicisme aurait triomphé sans lui

7. bjankovic Member

Toronto, Canada
    Serbian
    Where would you place an adverb in a sentence when using compound tense or dual-verb construction? Would the adverb follow the first conjugated verb or the infinitive?

For example I saw these two sentences:

(1) Nous allons probablement passer l'été en Corse.
    (2) Joseph a travaillé diligemment.

Why is the adverb in the first sentence before the infinitive and the one in the second after the infinitive? Both are not short common adverbs and both end in -ment.

8. Lezert

Lezert Senior Member

Midi-Pyrénées
    french, France
    I would say ( but I am not very skilled in gramlmar ) that it depend upon the function of the adverb .
    for example, in the second sentence ,I would have said:
    Joseph a travaillé diligemment.
    butJoseph a probablement travaillé

one adverb qualifies the verb ( diligemment/ travailler ), the other one the auxiliary verb ( avoir/ probablement), or something mike that.
    Wait for more "professional" advice

9. marget Senior Member

According to one grammar, "There is no hard-and-fast rule regarding the placement of adverbs in the passé composé and other compound tenses. Most short adverbs and a few of the more common longer adverbs are placed between the auxiliary and the past participle." Probablement is among those that
    precede the past participle. Diligemment is not. (Some others that precede are assez, beaucoup, bien, bientôt, déjà, enfin, longtemps, mal, peut-être, souvent, toujours, trop, vite, certainement, seulement, sûrement and vraiment.)

10. jann

jann co-mod'

English - USA
  11. bjankovic Member

Toronto, Canada
    Serbian
    Since I am not in the habit of wasting other people's time I guess I must have found words such as "generally", "often" and "very common" a little unclear.

However, I did go back to that link now, and after reading it over again, I did at least clarify that adverbs of time or place generally go after the past participle or at the end of a sentence. :D

12. LMorland

LMorland Senior Member

Back in Berkeley for the time being.
    American living in France
    That's exactly where he got his examples from:
    However, I see why bjankovic was requesting more advice: that page on adverb placement, while helpful, is pretty brief. If another resource is located with a better explanation of the rules, it should be added to your links.

(For example, I find marget's examples above quite helpful, and they are not spelled out as such on that page.)

Two hours later: I found this site.​

Last edited: Oct 21, 2009