FR: agreement - Festival de film et musique internationale

Garou22

Canada-English
Bonjour a tous!

Just a quick question...what is the rule for agreement here? Since film is masculine and musique is feminine what should international agree with?

Merci d'avance!
garou

• jann

co-mod'
    English - USA
    In French, when you have a mixed gender situation, the default is masculine. If both the films and the music are international, then international must be masculine plural. Alternately, you could make your life easy, and just call the festival itself "international." ;)

cropje_jnr

English - Australia
    I may be mistaken, but I see the following potential links:

Festival international
    Musique internationale
    Film et musique internationaux

Suggesting (to me) that "international" is here linked to "music".

itka

français
    I may be mistaken, but I see the following potential links:

Festival international
    Musique internationale
    Film et musique internationaux

Suggesting (to me) that "international" is here linked to "music".
    I think you're right, cropje_jnr.
    Here the link is between "musique" (fem. sg) and "internationale" (fem. sg)

So, you can understand it like : "festival du film" et "festival de la musique internationale"... which looks a bit weird !
    I assume there is a mistake in the writing and we've better understand :
    "Festival de la musique et du film internationaux".
    "film" beeing a masculine word sounds better near "internationaux" than "musique".

jann

co-mod'
    English - USA
    Actually, I think Garou22 is asking how to write International Film and Music Festival in French.
    As I understood it, both the "film" and the "music" are international... hence the question about what ending is required for international(e)/aux to make proper agreement when one noun is masculine and the other is feminine. ;)

Assuming I've understood the question correctly, then (as I suggested in post #2) "internationaux" is the required form, because we need masculine plural. I like itka's solution:

Festival de la musique et du film internationaux

:)

Punky Zoé

Pau
    France - français
    Hello

IMHO, the most common and natural form is "festival international du film et de la musique" or even "festival international de cinéma et de musique"

itka

français
    Hello

IMHO, the most common and natural form is "festival international du film et de la musique" or even "festival international de cinéma et de musique"
    That's probably the best way to translate International Film and Music Festival. :thumbsup:

< Previous | Next >