FR: bonne continuation + préposition

• jann

co-mod'
    English - USA
    bonne continuation is extremely poor French.
    Don't use it EVER!!!
    And yet we hear it quite frequently. Perhaps you would care to explain your objections to the expression? And if someone did use it, which preposition would be the least offensive to your ear? :)

havago

English - Australian
    Now I'm really confused. Wordref.com's dictionary includes use of Bonne continuation. Wordref was recommended by the native French speaker head of our teachers' association here in Victoria, Australia - so I'm guessing their info is pretty spot on. Tilt - whose 1st language is French - seems to find it OK. Montaigne finds it categorically OFF. Any other French speakers out there to jump on either end of this seesaw? And/or Montaigne, I'd be interested in your further elaboration as Jann requests.

tilt

French French
    Bonne continuation sounds a bit impersonal to me, like, say, cordialement.
    For this, I wouldn't say it to someone really close to me (friends or relatives).

But I happen to say it to people I don't know that much.

timboleicester

English - UK
    """Now I'm really confused."""

Don't worry as opinions about Style and the like are different everywhere....it is not incorrect French at all and I don't think he meant to imply it was, it is just "formulaic" and "mechanincal" in that it is something to say to fill an awkward gap....native English speakers would just say "goodbye" or the equivalent....in some other cultures there are other ritual comments that you use after specific event like taking a bath...or before ...We brits would never wish anyone "bon bain" would we?

havago

English - Australian
    OK - many thanks - I can't get over how HELPFUL this forum is!! Even the negative info shifts my understanding (with the help of the clarifying comments added later : Thanks Tilt and Timboleicester and initially Jann too, for the perspectives you each offered) towards better understanding. In fact my adult community French class took me out to a French restaurant last night (I'm retiring). I made tiny cards to enclose in small cellophane bags with a few special chocs for each. Ended up wishing them 'une très bonne continuation dans vos études de la langue française'. I'm guessing that in this context - despite the fact I'm pretty fond of them all after a few shared years - that being a teacher-student context - the phrase may be appropriate for use. Huge thanks to all who've contributed here!

tilt

French French
    You may try something like Je vous souhaite beaucoup de réussite dans votre travail / vos études.
    It would sound less "mechanical", as Timboleicester in his brilliant explanation.

< Previous | Next >