FR: Ce n'est pas moi qui l'ai écrit - accord du verbe

Hi, In English, I think this would be 'It is not I who has written it'.

So in English 'to have' is made to conjugate with 'It', i.e. the person who did really write it.

But in French it seems that 'avoir' conjugates with 'moi' who is not the person who wrote it.

I don't understand the French one as it doesn't seem logical. But I'm sure it's me who is missing something!

• Hi, Thanks for your reply. Actually I should have just put the sentence in its positive form to make it simpler. I don't understand why 'avoir' accords with 'moi' and not 'ce', like it would in English, as logically it's a third person who wrote it.

Oh yeh hang on, I do understand it in the positive version of the sentence. Sorry. It is indeed the negative version I don't understand. As it's not 'me' who wrote it, but 'avoir' is conjugated for first person singular, who is the person who definitely did not write it.

Maître Capello

Mod et ratures
    French – Switzerland
    In French, verbs must be conjugated according to their subject. When that subject is the pronoun qui, it takes the gender and number of the noun it refers to. Whether the sentence is positive or negative is irrelevant.

C'est moi qui ai écrit cela / Ce n'est pas moi qui ai écrit cela.
    C'est toi qui as écrit cela / Ce n'est pas toi qui as écrit cela.
    C'est lui qui a écrit cela / Ce n'est pas lui qui a écrit cela.
    C'est nous qui avons écrit cela / Ce n'est pas nous qui avons écrit cela.
    C'est vous qui avez écrit cela / Ce n'est pas vous qui avez écrit cela.
    C'est elles qui ont écrit cela / Ce n'est pas elles qui ont écrit cela.