FR: depuis ce jour + temps

< Previous | Next >

Moodswings

Arabic
I'm trying to say in French "since that day my whole life has been turned upside-down"

My attempt is: "depuis ce jour la [...]"

Is it correct? bearing in mind that I'm talking about a specific day in the past, which has changed everything in my life up to now.

cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
  • OLN

French - France, ♀
    Il faut l'écrire Depuis ce jour-là, ...

mais il n'est pas clair si ta vie a basculé ce jour-là ou si elle a basculé par la suite (entre temps).

Moodswings

Arabic
    I'm trying to find the equivalent of "has been" ma vie ..... bouleversé... Present perfect in English, but I don't know which tense should be used in French to describe a consequences which is still ongoing.

snarkhunter

French - France
    Hello,

You may use either a "présent" tense here ("depuis ce jour-là, ma vie est bouleversée") or a "passé composé" tense ("depuis ce jour-là, ma vie a été bouleversée"). Because of the sentence beginning with "depuis", the origine of things is clearly set in the past, and both tenses tell the situation is still going on nowadays.

OLN

French - France, ♀
    I'm trying to find the equivalent of "has been" ma vie ..... bouleversé... Present perfect in English, but I don't know which tense should be used in French to describe a consequences which is still ongoing.
    Doesn't turn something upside-down describe a single event while be upside-down expresses the ongoing consequence?

"Since that day my whole life has been turned upside-down" or "My life has been turned upside-down since that day":
    I understand your life is upside-down right now (ongoing state), but again, I'm not sure when your life was turned upside-down. It could have happened any time between that day and now.
    You may use either a "présent" tense here ("depuis ce jour-là, ma vie est bouleversée") or a "passé composé" tense ("depuis ce jour-là, ma vie a été bouleversée").
    "Depuis ce jour-là, ma vie a été bouleversée" means that your life has been turned upside-down at least once since that day.
    The single event(s) that turned your life upside-down is or are posterior to that day.

- If speaking of a single event that happened that particular day in the past and turned your life upside-down, you should use the passé composé:
    Ce jour-là, ma vie a été bouleversée [par un évènement] (That day, my life was turned upside-down by....)
    or Itisi's sentences : Ce jour-là, ma vie a basculé. Ce jour-là a bouleversé ma vie.

- If speaking of your ongoing current state and specifying since when, you should use the present tense: Depuis ce jour-là, ma vie est sens dessus-dessous.

Alternative in a narrative (Swiss Pete):
    À partir de ce jour-là, ma vie n'a plus été la même. (passé composé) From that day on, ...

< Previous | Next >