FR: des œufs de poule(s) et de caille(s) fermier(s)

Discussion in 'French and English Grammar / Grammaire française et anglaise' started by Audles, Apr 19, 2011.

1. Audles New Member

English - Scotland
    Hello

I'm looking to sell some eggs - oeufs de poules et de cailles fermier, but I don't know if the fermier part should have an 's' on the end or not. Does it apply to the eggs - therefore with a final s, or to me, in which case, being only one person it would not have an s? Thanks for your help.

2. Maître Capello

Maître Capello Mod et ratures

Suisse romande
    French – Switzerland
    Since fermier is used as an adjective and qualifies the eggs, it must agree with that word → des œufs de poule et de caille fermiers.

P.S.: Welcome to the forums! :)

3. Guill Senior Member

Français - France
    Ce sont les œufs qui sont fermiers. Ce sont donc bien des "œufs fermiers" ;)

4. Audles New Member

English - Scotland
    Thanks very much for your help. Maybe this is another grammar point between english and french, but I notice that you say oeufs de poule - ie hen eggs, but would oeufs de poules also be OK signifying more than one hen/quail as the case may be?

Great to have your help. Thanks again.

5. Maître Capello

Maître Capello Mod et ratures

Suisse romande
    French – Switzerland
    Well, unless you want to emphasize that the eggs were laid by several hens, which is pretty obvious in a farm, the singular is more appropriate since you just mention the type of eggs (hen vs. quail).

6. Audles New Member

English - Scotland
    That's great, thanks so much for your help, who would have thought eggs could be so difficult! Let's just hope I can sell some now!