FR: des/les bananes et du riz

Discussion in 'French and English Grammar / Grammaire française et anglaise' started by agueda, Jul 5, 2007.

1. agueda Senior Member

Korean
    Le Sénégal ne produit ni blé ni pommes mais il produit des bananes et du riz.

Le Sénégal ne produit ni blé ni pommes mais il produit les bananes et du riz.

If "bananes" and "riz" are used in a general sense, do I use "les" or "des"?

Thanks very much... :)

2. Nil-the-Frogg

Nil-the-Frogg Senior Member

Essonne
    Français (France)
    Your first one is good. The second would imply than Senegal produces all the bananas. ;)

3. marget Senior Member

You should use "des" for bananes and "du" for riz.

4. agueda Senior Member

Korean
    Ah, I see the difference...
    Again, thanks so much to both of you.
    This forum is extremely helpful... :-D

5. Orientale Senior Member

Hanoi
    Vietnam
    Can I say "il produit la banane et le riz" ? Thanks for your answers

6. jouesgentils12354 Member

English, U.S.A
    I think that one would be for a really specific banana or rice. When it comes to food using "de" is used most of the time.

7. agueda Senior Member

Korean
    Does that apply even when I say, "He likes fruit (in general)"?
    I thought in this case I might use "Il aime le fruit"... But I guess it could be "Il aime de fruit"... Wait, or would it be "Il aime du fruit"?
    This is so confusing...:(

8. marget Senior Member

With verbs of preference, such as aimer, use the definite article. I wonder if you should say "il aime les fruits"?

9. Nil-the-Frogg

Nil-the-Frogg Senior Member

Essonne
    Français (France)

10. sudest Senior Member

Turkish
    Le Sénégal ne produit ni blé ni pommes mais il produit des bananes et du riz.
    Why isn't it used des riz instead of du riz like des bananas?

11. LV4-26

LV4-26 Senior Member

Because rice is uncountable in French (as it is in English).

12. sudest Senior Member

Turkish
    Ohh merci I don't know French has the subject of countable/uncountable noun like like in English but,I have not seen any subject so far about it.Could you give me any link on this matter,please?

Last edited: Sep 4, 2008
  13. jann

jann co-mod'

English - USA
    In French, we use the partitive with uncountable nouns. You will find information about the partitive at virtually every grammar site listed in our Resources thread. :)

14. FrancophoneInTraining Member

Washington, DC
    English - USA

15. dasubergeek Senior Member

English - US; French - CH
    Because the "not" is absolute, and the des/les (some of them/all of them) problem is irrelevant. However, the positive side of the sentence (what they do actually produce) needs to distinguish between two things:

Il produit les bananes = It produces bananas (and bananas come only from Senegal)
    Il produit des bananes = It produces bananas (amongst other countries that produce bananas)

16. FrancophoneInTraining Member

Washington, DC
    English - USA
    Aaaaah! That makes perfect sense! Thanks dasubergeek!