FR: d'l'amour, d'la joie, de la bonne humeur

valito_jb

Spanish
Hi!

I'm learning french so I started translating songs from ZAZ and I have some doubts about this song. I know what it means but I don't know why some things are written the way they are written sometimes :/

1) Je veux d'l'amour, d'la joie, de la bonne humeur = why isn't this like: je veux el amour, la joie, la bonne humeur??? I'm confused by the d'

[...]

I'm just starting so everything helps!! :)

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
  • SwissPete

Français (CH), AE (California)
    It's a way of writing that mimics the way some people speak.

Je veux de l'amour, de la joie, de la bonne humeur.
    I want some love, some joy, some good humor.

Which is not the same as I want love, joy, good humor.

As for the moi je, it has been covered before. I will try to find as link.

Keep in mind also that lyrics rarely follow standard grammar rules.

EDIT: There a many threads with moi je. They are listed at the bottom of this dictionary page.

Enquiring Mind

English - the Queen's
    Hi valito_jb, just to add to what SwissPete said: "d'l'amour, d'la joie" are not grammatically correct, but it may be (I don't know the song) that they are written like this to indicate that d'l'amour and d'la joie each only take up two syllables instead of three in order to fit the beat or metre of that line in the song. So [d'l'a] [mour] instead of [de] [l'a] [mour] and [d'l'a] [joie] instead of [de] [la] [joie].

Nawaq

français (France)
    d'l'amour, d'la joie, de la bonne humeur, ça sonne quand même mieux en plus...

Maître Capello

Mod et ratures
    French – Switzerland
    "d'l'amour, d'la joie" are not grammatically correct, but it may be (I don't know the song) that they are written like this to indicate that d'l'amour and d'la joie each only take up two syllables instead of three in order to fit the beat or metre of that line in the song. So [d'l'a] [mour] instead of [de] [l'a] [mour] and [d'l'a] [joie] instead of [de] [la] [joie].
    :thumbsup: It is indeed just for the metrics of the verses, which have a fixed eleven syllables (see Zaz's song Je veux).

d'l'amour, d'la joie, de la bonne humeur, ça sonne quand même mieux en plus...
    Ça fait surtout très familier… :rolleyes:

< Previous | Next >