FR: Elle a dit qu'elle allait X lundi prochain/d'après - discours indirect

< Previous | Next >

JesseHimself

Chinese
Bonjour !

The situation given :
"Je vais me marier avec qqn lundi prochain."
A message just received by telephone, now I tell this to another person, who knows that we telephoned just now.
"Elle a dit qu'elle allait se marier avec qqn lundi prochain."
"Elle a dit qu'elle allait se marier avec qqn lundi d'après."
Which sentence is right ? Does the time has to change to "lundi d'après" with the tense passé composé : "Elle a dit" ?
Well, what I'm thinking is, the mariage is an event in the future. Whenever she told me this message, the mariage is going to happen "lundi prochain" for all of us.
Isn't "lundi prochain" just more convienient to convey this message, whose emphasis is the date of the mariage ?
If my thoughts are wrong, then why ?

Merci d'avance.

• olivier68

French Paris France
    "Lundi prochain". : le style indirect ne modifie pas les dates absolues et en général pas les dates relatives ;-)
    Vous pourriez cependant utiliser "le lundi suivant" (éventuellement "le lundi d'après") si vraiment le style indirect est employé pour rapporter une conversation qui s'est passée il y a longtemps.

ENELYC

Français de France
    If you relate (is that the good word for "rapporter" ?) this conversation two months after she told you, and that the event has already happened, you should say "Elle m'a dit qu'elle allait se marier/ se marierait le lundi suivant/le lundi d'après".

If the event is actually planned for the next monday (as it seems to be), I think, as Oliver has written, it's better to tell "prochain" > "elle m'a dit qu'elle se mariait lundi prochain", I understand that she will marry next monday, the event is soon, but has not happened (sorry for my approximative english ;) )

Maître Capello

Mod et ratures
    French – Switzerland
    A message just received by telephone
    As the message has just been received, the reported speech takes place on the same day as the direct speech. In that case, the "next Monday" is still the coming Monday. You therefore keep the same temporal marker. You need to change it only if the coming Monday is no longer the "next Monday" mentioned in the direct speech, e.g., because you're reporting the speech one week later.

le style indirect ne modifie […] en général pas les dates relatives
    En général si. :) Exemple :
    • Discours direct :
      Il y a deux semaines, je lui ai dit : « Je vais me marier lundi prochain. »
    • Discours indirect :
      Il y a deux semaines, je lui ai dit que j'allais me marier le lundi d'après/suivant. (référence relative au moment du discours direct)
      Il y a deux semaines, je lui ai dit que j'allais me marier lundi de la semaine passée. (référence relative au moment du discours rapporté)

olivier68

French Paris France
    Il n'en reste pas moins que, si la formulation diffère, les dates relatives (au sens chronologie) ne sont pas modifiées ;-)

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >