FR: elle allait gagner / elle aurait gagné

Music22

English
Hello,

I'm getting confused with my tenses... the senence "L'année dernière mon équipe allait gagner le football, mais il y avait des orages et nous n'avons pas fini le tournoi. "
Or would it be ""L'année dernière mon équipe aurait gagné le football, mais il y avait des orages et nous n'avons pas fini le tournoi. ""

• MaxximBlanc

Français-France
    Hi !

It all depends on what you want to say. If you want to say that you're team was about to win when a storm appeared, then you'll say : "L'année dernière mon équipe allait gagner..." but if you want to say that your team would have won without the storm, then you would say : "L'année dernière mon équipe aurait gagné s'il n'y avait pas eu d'orage"

I hope that will help ! :)

Music22

English
    Thank you! Can I asked why you changed it to "s'il ny avait pas eu d'orage".... what tense is that?

Le Penseur

S'il n'y avait pas eu is the plus-que-parfait or pluperfect/past perfect tense: "if there had not been ...". Maxxim has changed it to complement the use of the conditional in the first part of the sentence ("... aurait gagné ... si + plus-que-parfait ..."). It's the same in English - "we would have won if there had not been ..."

< Previous | Next >