Fr/En: خريف الشرق الدائم

< Previous | Next >

Hemza

French, Mor/Hijz Arabic (heritage)
Hello,

I'm translating a Saudi novel called سعوديون مبتعثون and I met a sentence that I think I understood but I can't find a good way to render it into French (English is fine too). Here it is:

في الأيام الأولى لم يستخدما المظلات، كانا يتلذذان بنبضات المطر عندما تلامس حباته جسديهما، ومع نبضة كل حبة يخفق قلباهما احساساً بالسعادة، السعادة بالمطر، ذلك الشعور الذي جلباه معهما من خريف الشرق الدائم

It's the bold part which gives me hardship.

The context: it's about two Saudi students who go to the United States for the first time to learn English and they kind of discover the leisure and the pleasure of rain (I wish I liked rain as they do :D ) since both come from pretty dry areas.

Any idea?

Thank you.

• Hemza

French, Mor/Hijz Arabic (heritage)
    Thank you. I thought about a literal translation but I'm not sure what the author meant by that. I may stick to it in case I can't find another way to translate it.

cherine

Arabic (Egypt).
    I read the sentence a few times to try and understand what the author means, and my guess is that these two, coming from a place with not much rain, they were happy to feel the rain drops on their body.
    We’d need a confirmation from a Saudi, maybe @ayed or @Wadi Hanifa can tell us: is autumn usually dry or mostly dry in Saudi Arabia? If so then this would explain this, and you may need to add a clarification note ya Hamza.
    Here in Egypt, it’s not very rainy either in the South, but it rains in Alexandria in the autumn, and this is why the sentence wasn’t very clear to me.

Edit: just to clarify, I meant to say that “the eternal autumn of the East” may be a reference to eternal or almost eternal dryness.

Wadi Hanifa

Arabic
    Autumn (October and November) is the season when people in the Syrian and Arabian steppes hope for rain (the season known as الوسم), because a good wasmi rain produces good pasture in the spring. The other rainy season is the late spring (March-May) but it is not as highly anticipated because it dries up immediately. This is not much different from most neighboring countries.

I have no idea why he would refer to the weather of his characters' homeland as permanent autumn.

cherine

Arabic (Egypt).
    Thank you, Wadi! So it's not just me who found it strange :)
    Ok, the only other guess I have is that this scene expresses nostalgia, and that the rain in the States reminded the students of the rain back home. Though we still don't understand this دائم part.

< Previous | Next >