FR: he had my friend take them to our leaders

binhle410

Vietnamese
Bonjour tout le monde

I have 2 questions,

I dont know how to say this in French:

The alien had my friend take their friends to our leaders.
=> is it
L'étranger faire conduire leurs amis à mon ami à nos dirigeants.
???

my second question is how do I replace them all with Pronouns ?

Merci beaucoup beaucoup à tous.

• Oddmania

French
    Hi,

Not an easy one! This sounds like a very complicated sentence, and I'm not sure you could really translate it properly with the verb faire faire quelque chose à quelqu'un ("to have someone do something"). One thing's for sure, L'étranger faire... is not correct, no matter what follows. The verb faire has to be conjugated. Since you wrote had in the past, you should conjugate the verb in the past in French as well.

I would say L'étranger a demandé à mon ami de conduire ses amis à nos dirigeants.

JACKADI

français
    As a french, it's difficult to translate because I should have more about information about the story
    I understand that the friend is 'forced' to do that ?
    In that case, I would translate for example : 'L étranger a obligé mon ami à amener ses amis à ses dirigeants'

binhle410

Vietnamese
    hello all,

It does not have to be "force" it could be a demand/ask/ or suggestion.

So, in this case, Le Causatif is not possible ?

jann

co-mod'
    English - USA
    First, the original English sentence has a bit a problem. There is no antecedent for "their":

The alien had my friend take their friends to our leaders.

Whose friends were taken to our leaders? It is not clear. If it was the alien's friends, it should say "his (her/its) friends" instead of "their" friends.

So, in this case, Le Causatif is not possible ?
    It's unlikely to work, there are just way too many complements in the sentence.
    Exactly.

But if you did not specify that it was "my friend" who had to take "them" to our leader, that eliminates a complement... and it allows you to use a causative faire in a situation where English requires passive voice.

The alien had them taken to our leaders. = L'extraterrestre les a fait amener à nos dirigeants.

JACKADI

français
    Yes but where are the friends in the sentence ?
    it's clear that the sentence has a problem
    if it was alien's friend, I have another translation : 'Les amis de l'étranger (ou extraterrestre ?), sur sa demande, ont été amenés par mon ami auprès de ses dirigeants'

jann

co-mod'
    English - USA
    Yes but where are the friends in the sentence ?
    Where are the friends? They are replaced by the pronoun "them" (les). Why? Because Binhle's original post specifically expressed an interest in the sentence with pronominalization.

The alien had them taken to our leaders. = L'extraterrestre les a fait amener à nos dirigeants.
    them / les = their friends

Binhle also expressed specific interest in using a causative faire structure, but there were too many complements for that to be practical in the example he provided... as Oddmania explained in post#5 above. So I deliberately eliminated one complement ("my friend" / mon ami) and explained that I was doing so in order to use a causative faire structure. Obivously this choice removes information from the sentence, but if Binhle's interest is in the structure itself, he may find the revised example helpful. ;)

As this is the Grammar forum (and not the Vocabulary forum), many questions here focus on how different sentence structures work, and not on the best way to translate an idea.

binhle410

Vietnamese
    So, in case of Le causatif structure, we can write

L'extraterrestre les a fait amener à nos dirigeants
    => The alien had "them" taken to our leaders
    And it means, if the verb in this case is "amener" we have to deduct the l'agent (by my friend) ?

Maître Capello

Mod et ratures
    French – Switzerland
    No, in that case the agent is purposefully left out because it is unimportant or we don't want to mention it. What you fail to understand is that we are now focusing on a different sentence, where no "my friend" appears at all and it isn't even implied.

< Previous | Next >