FR: He handed me over to him

Harrythegiraffe

Chinese
Is it “il m'a remis(e) à lui” or “il me lui a remis(e)” ?
If the first one is correct why isn’t “lui” put in front of the verb, since in such cases the indirect object would normally be put in front of the verb? (E.g. Je vous remets le soin de cette affaire.)

What about “he handed me over to you”? (Both second person singular and plural) This seems more tricky cuz “me” “te” and “vous” all belong to the first tier…

And what about “he handed you over to me”? 😂😂😂 this is getting so confusing…

Attachments

• 2FE2A977-B69A-484A-A502-359A5D2CFAA8.jpeg
    2FE2A977-B69A-484A-A502-359A5D2CFAA8.jpeg
    264.9 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
  • snarkhunter

French (France's)
    Hello,

If I dare... could you please explain what is actually being done here?
    Because I dont think you can "hand over" a person, for I understand this phrasal verb as applying to things only.

If it's in a figurative way, then you could use the French verb "confier (à)" since that may apply to both things and people.

... just thinking that "remettre" could work in some cases.

"Il m'a remis(e) à lui."

Harrythegiraffe

Chinese
    hello thank you for ur response!! ”hand over” here just means “give”

to give something/somebody officially or formally to another person
    • He handed over a cheque for $200 000.
    • They handed the weapons over to the police.
    • They would simply hand her over to the magistrate as a thief.
    • We’ll hand him over to the Dementors.
    • Now hand over whatever it is your are sneding!
    well it doesn’t matter whether it is this specific phrasal verb “hand over”. what i am interested in here is what i should do when either two of “me” “te” “vous” “lui” appear in one single French sentence, as direct and indirect objects, because “me“ “te” “vous” are often grouped together as either direct objects or indirect objects that are farthest to the verb, and “lui” too, when following “à”, is supposed to be placed in front of the verb. so i’m just confused about the placement of these objects when they have to be used together.
    well if it makes the least sense, what about such english phrases as “give me to you” or “give you to him”? where would you put these personal pronouns in a french sentence?

Last edited by a moderator:

snarkhunter

French (France's)
    I'm afraid you just cannot use such a dual pronoun with "remettre" when the direct object is "me".

It only works with other persons. Or it will take an indirect object without any pronoun.

For instance: "Il m'a remis à lui." (whether or not this makes any actual sense)

Harrythegiraffe

Chinese
    and also “Il m'a donné à toi”, “Il nous a données à vous”? well it could make sense, for example in a fairy tale where a bag or a teaspoon can talk lol😂 that’s what i actually have in mind

Last edited by a moderator: