FR: He was glad he no longer had his revolver

destiny33

England - English
Salut

My mind has gone blank.. if I want to write to no longer have, i.e. using the infinitive, do I put plus before or after the verb
-ne plus avoir
-n'avoir plus ?

merci!

• destiny33

England - English
    Hi
    it's He was glad he no longer had his revolver.
    I know I can say qu'il n'avait plus... but which way round is it with the infinitive?
    thanks

Franglais1969

English English, français rouillé
    Hello,

I don't believe there is an infinitive here.

...qu'il n'avait plus son revolver. (that he no longer had his revolver).

Franglais1969

You wouldn't say: "il était content de ne plus avoir son revolver".
    ..why?
    Because I don't know the context. Is he glad he no longer had HIS OWN revolver, or is he glad that he (someone else) no longer had his revolver.

Well, maybe I am wrong, but that is how I see it.

lela105

US/English
    Alright, I see where you're coming from...I just went ahead and made an assumption of who "il" was on both counts...and we all know what assuming does...good call.

destiny33

England - English
    It is his own revolver. I am writing qu'il n'avait plus son revolver. I just forgot where the plus goes with the infinitive!
    Thanks to all

destiny33

England - English
    But! the reason i was going to use the infinitive in the first place was because I thought it was better to when there is no change of subject. If i use que here, I need the subjunctive, true? il était bien content qu'il n'eût plus son revolver???

Franglais1969

But! the reason i was going to use the infinitive in the first place was because I thought it was better to when there is no change of subject. If i use que here, I need the subjunctive, true? il était bien content qu'il n'eût plus son revolver???
    Yep, sorry I didn't think; it would indeed be subjunctive.

< Previous | Next >