FR: I don't know how to [do it]

jribbink

English - Canada
Unfortunately, I was assigned French homework over spring break and have nobody to ask how to do this.

Si tu veux, nous pouvons aller au bowling.
Non merci, je ne sais pas comment le faire de.

I was intending to say:

If you want, we can go bowling.
No thanks, I don't know how to.

Firstly, I wasn't sure if I am supposed to take out the de because it is technically du bowling.
Secondly, my project requires using the pronoun le/la/les a couple times so I would prefer to use it, but if it is better removing "le faire de", I can just do that.

• DrChen

French-France
    I'm desperately trying to find a way of saying it that would use le or la or les ...:confused: I've drawn a blank.
    That's because de+le=du and à+le=au I guess...
    All I can think of is :
    Non merci, je ne sais pas faire du bowling
    Non merci, je ne sais pas comment on joue au bowling

jribbink

English - Canada
    Thanks for all the replies, I read up on the pronouns en and y, but technically we haven't used them yet in school. Sadly my teacher accuses us of using Google Translate when we do this, plus I doubt it would count for the criteria, so I won't use it. I will just find somewhere elsewhere to use the pronouns.

Maître Capello

Mod et ratures
    French – Switzerland
    If your goal is to use pronoun le, you could say:

— Est-ce que tu sais jongler avec des quilles ? / "Do you know how to juggle with clubs?"
    — Non, je ne sais pas le faire. / "No, I don't know how to."

Maître Capello

Mod et ratures
    French – Switzerland
    This is how I would translate "I don't know how to" but I'm not entirely satisfied with it when used in the original context, although I can't find a better way… :(

A possible workaround could be: Je n'en ai jamais fait.

Last edited:

olivier68

French Paris France
    Bonjour rkazukiewicz1,

There are so many ways to answer to a question, depending how it has been asked.
    The shortest ones are: "oui"/"non" ;-)
    Can you give us some examples?

< Previous | Next >