FR: I want everyone to be comfortable with the decision

javo144

United States/English
Hello -
I am wondering how to use the subjunctive form of être with tous or tout le monde. Specifically, is tous and tout le monde conjugated as third person singular or third person plural??

For example, in the following sentence:
"I want everyone to be comfortable with the decision."
is it correct to say:
"Je voudrais que tous soit confortable avec la décision" ?
ou
"... que tous soient confortable."

I've tried looking this up elsewhere but am not having any luck.
Thanks for any help with this!

• itka

français
    If you use tous (everybody, not each person = a lot of people), since it is a pronoun plural you must make an agreement with the verb in plural :
    Je veux que tous soient là ce soir.

But you can choose tout (= everything) singular pronoun and so your sentence would be :
    Je veux que tout soit réussi ce soir.

But you cannot say : Je voudrais que tous soient confortables avec la décision. It's no longer a question of grammar but the word "confortable" doesn't fit here.

javo144

United States/English
    But you cannot say : Je voudrais que tous soient confortables avec la décision. It's no longer a question of grammar but the word "confortable" doesn't fit here.
    Thank you, Itka - I thought I understood, but after reading the last line you wrote, I realize I don't understand at all. Could I say,
    "Je voudrais que tout le monde soit confortable avec la décision."
    or is it just simply incorrect to use an adjective after soit/soient??:confused:

itka

français
    "confortable" in french has not the same meaning as "comfortable" in english.

On ne peut pas "être confortable avec une décision". Il faut trouver un autre adjectif ou une expression. Ce n'est pas un problème de grammaire, mais de vocabulaire, simplement.

Nicomon

Français, Québec ♀
    I agree with itka. Confortable is not the right choice to translate "comfortable" in your context. It is one of those famous "faux amis". In French, the word applies to things (whether concrete or abstract), but not persons. Here's a little article on the subject

As for your initial question, and if you're comfortable;) reading French this page from the BDL may be of interest tout le monde.

Charlie Parker

English Canada
    Salut Nico. Je ne peux pas accéder à la page à laquelle tu fais référence. Que penses-tu de "Je veux que tout le monde soit à l'aise avec la décision."?

Maître Capello

Mod et ratures
    French – Switzerland
    Either is fine:

Je veux que tous soient à l'aise avec la décision. :tick:
    Je veux que tout le monde soit à l'aise avec la décision. :tick:

In a nutshell:
    • tous = all  → plural (Tous sont = All are…)
    • tout le monde, chacun = everyone, each person → singular (Tout le monde est = Everyone is…)

Kelly B

USA English
    What do you think of qu'on soit tous.... ? I don't thnk it's right strictly speaking, but I can imagine it aloud.

< Previous | Next >