FR: I wanted to go to a party

_Jade_

English
Salut,

J'ai besoin d'utilliser l'imparfait où le passé composé dans ce texte:

Le weekend dernier, un ami m'a invité à une boum. J'ai eu envie de sortir, alors j'ai accepté 'invitation. Je suis partié(e) à huit heures, parce que j'ai voulu arriver après les autres.

I am able to differentiate between the passé composé and the imparfait for physical actions (i.e. she invited), but for things like "I wanted" or "I needed", I am unsure of which one to use. Can someone please explain to me how to use the imperfect and what to use in this instance?

Merci

• Guill

Français - France
    In both your clauses, the main actions are the ones with which you used the passé composé (j'ai accepté/je suis parti(e)). Both the verbs you're having trouble with are here to set another action, less relevant, and a motivation. Therefore, the imparfait is needed here.

undergreenwoodtree

English-England
    I would have written:

Le weekend dernier, un ami m'a invité à une boum. J'avais envie de sortir, alors j'ai accepté 'invitation. Je suis parti(e) à huit heures, parce que je voulais arriver après les autres.
    It's more of a feeling for me, which also means I could be wrong, but it is perhaps better to wait for a native.

pieanne

Belgium/French
    I would have written:

Le weekend dernier, un ami m'a invité(e) à une boum. J'avais envie de sortir, alors j'ai accepté l'invitation. Je suis parti(e) à huit heures, parce que je voulais arriver après les autres.
    It's more of a feeling for me, which also means I could be wrong, but it is perhaps better to wait for a native.
    :thumbsup:

< Previous | Next >