1. Arrius

Arrius Senior Member

Spain
    English, UK
    Does one say Je vais passer mes vacances en Cornouailles (Cornwall), dans les (le?) Cornouailles (as with dans le Kent) or is it treated as a plural, aux Cornouailles, like aux Antilles (to/in the West Indies)? According to the French section of Wikipedia, the name of this English county in French is Les Cornouailles, though apparently there is a region in Brittany (la Bretagne) also called la Cornouaille, in the singular. Cornwall is one of the three counties in the Southwest across the Bristol Channel from Wales, on the peninsula that looks like an eagle's leg. It is the last bit that ends in what resembles the claw.

2. DearPrudence

DearPrudence Dépêche Mod (AL mod)

IdF
    French (lower Normandy)
    Wow, I didn't know we were supposed to say "les Cornouailles".
    Personally I've always said: "Je vais passer mes vacances en Cornouailles", as I would say for other (French) regions:
    ... en Normandie
    ... en Alsace

But that's just the sincere opinion of a native, which apparently is not correct...
    (google indicates both: "la" or "les" Cornouailles, a bit more occurrences with "la"... :-/)

3. Arrius

Arrius Senior Member

Spain
    English, UK
    The trouble is that this is seldom expressed in French (though no doubt William the Conqueror and his boys must have discussed it often enough), but I have definitely heard dans le Surrey/le Yorkshire/le Kent. I can't rememember hearing en Kent etc.

4. Fred_C

Fred_C Senior Member

France
    Français
    If you say "la Cornouaille", you must write it without a final S.
    Considering the name singular is the only way to be able to say and write "en Cornouaille".
    You cannot write "en Cornouailles:cross:".

I you want this name to be plural, then you can say "dans les Cornouailles", because it is a region, and not a country. (Which would allow to say "Aux Cornouailles")

5. simera

simera Senior Member

France
    French
    One says Je vais passer mes vacances en Cournouaille.
    There a new trend in France and people use "en" more and more often, especially for French départements.
    We used to say "dans la Creuse", "dans dans la Côte d'Or" and now we say "en Creuse", "en Côte d'or".
    We say "je vais dans le Kent" but "je vais en Cornouaille"

6. Maître Capello

Maître Capello Mod et ratures

Suisse romande
    French – Switzerland
    To me, it is definitely dans les Cornouailles if you are talking about the English county but en Cornouaille if referring to the French one…

7. simera

simera Senior Member

France
    French
    Je dirais je vais en Cornouailles, même pour la région. ça me semble plus naturel, mais je suppose que les deux se disent. ;-)

8. Fred_C

Fred_C Senior Member

France
    Français
    [...]

"En Cornouailles" is definitely wrong. "En Cornouaille" is correct.
    "Dans les Cornouailles" is correct also.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 11, 2008
  9. simera

simera Senior Member

France
    French
    [...]

You are right, in principle.

But "en Cornouailles" is attested by usage.

Just surf the net, read, etc. And you will find "en Cornouailles", just as you will find many expression that do not even exist in your "Bon Usage".

Just make a search on Google with "en Cornouaille" and you will find books and Cds with "en Cornouailles" in their titles.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 11, 2008