(The "it" being French, of course)

• olivier68

French Paris France
    I want to write to you in French
    I want to write you in that/this language

Not sure "in it" can be used here.

Peaches!

English
    Thanks, Olivier. Yes, I also thought about using "en cette langue" as a way of getting around the problem of not knowing how to say "in it". But "en cette langue" sounds so clunky somehow.

Peaches!

English
    Oh, I should clarify that I am a native English speaker and I'm looking for help with French grammar. I think your response was giving me help with English (?). :)

Yes, out of context, I can see how the sentence "I don't want to write to you in it" could seem weird in English, but it is grammatically correct, and wouldn't sound weird if you knew the whole context of the sentence.

Here's what I want to say in French:
    I am studying French, but I am too shy to write to you IN IT.

J'étudie français mais je suis trop timide de (or pour?) vous écrire [IN IT]....(help!)

olivier68

French Paris France
    Ah ! Pas clair dans le message initial.
    Donc, en français : "pour [t'/vous] écrire dans cette langue" ou "pour [t'/vous] écrire en français". Je ne vois pas d'autre solution que la répétition.

NB. J'étudie le français.

Locape

French
    C'est peut-être un peu hors sujet, mais je n'utiliserais pas 'timide', qui fait plus référence au caractère en français, je trouve. 'Je suis encore mal à l'aise dans cette langue' ou 'je ne suis pas encore très à l'aise dans cette langue'.

Bezoard

French - France
    You cannot use a pronoun in French. The most natural way to phrase it is indeed to say "in that language."
    Je suis trop timide pour vous écrire dans cette langue.
    D'accord, ou alors on peut utiliser une autre construction :
    Je suis trop timide pour l'utiliser pour vous écrire.

< Previous | Next >