FR: It would be unfair if alcohol were completely banned

purpledragonunicorn

English- United Kingdom
I know that we use the subjunctive in English here, but would we also need it in French? Should I say "il serait injuste si l'alcool était totalement prohibé" or would it be better to say "il serait injuste si l'alcool fut totalement prohibé"?
Thank-you

• moicecher

French - France
    I would say : "ça serait injuste si l'alcool était prohibé" or "ça serait injuste que l'alcool soit prohibé."
    For me the last one sounds more spontaneous and natural but both are correct.

Last edited:

purpledragonunicorn

English- United Kingdom
    Thank-you! I keep forgetting that the present subjunctive can be used. Just to help further my understanding, what makes it necessary to use "ca" in this cause instead of "il"?

Maître Capello

Mod et ratures
    French – Switzerland
    In counterfactual si clauses, the imperfect is required. If using que, you must use the subjunctive.

Ce serait injuste si l'alcool était prohibé/interdit.
    Ce serait injuste que l'alcool soit prohibé/interdit.

The choice between the conditional si clause and the subordinate que clause really depends on the exact context, which is missing.

purpledragonunicorn

English- United Kingdom
    The context is that I'm trying to say that wine must be drunk during passover, and for this reason it would be unfair if alcohol were completely banned.

< Previous | Next >