FR: it's a pity I hadn't brought it

mancunienne girl

English - England
I am writing an account of a recent holiday.... and want to say "it's a pity I hadn't brought my top because it was cold...." My attempt is "dommage que je n'eusse pas apportè mon haut, parce qu'il faisait froid", but I''m not sure the pluperfect subjunctive is much used in informal speech nowadays. Any advice would be appreciated.

• mancunienne girl

English - England
    So Atchque, are you saying that nowadays that the perfect subjunctive is used in place of the pluperfect subjunctive, even though there is a different sense in the original English? Whoops for the accent (hadn't noticed I did that). And thank you for your quick reply.

Oddmania

French
    The Imperfect subjunctive (qu'il fût...) and the Pluperfect one (qu'ils eût été...) are hardly ever used nowadays. Only the Passé Composé (qu'il ait été...) and the Present subjunctives (qu'il soit...) are commonly used :)

C'est dommage que je n'aie pas pris mon pull/sweat-shirt/T-shirt, parce-qu'il faisait froid.

Maître Capello

Mod et ratures
    French – Switzerland
    So Atchque, are you saying that nowadays that the perfect subjunctive is used in place of the pluperfect subjunctive, even though there is a different sense in the original English?
    Yes. In modern, standard French, anteriority in the subjunctive is always marked by using the past subjunctive, whether in reference to a present or past event. We don't use the imperfect or pluperfect subjunctives in everyday speech or writing anymore.

See also the thread FR: subjonctif imparfait - imperfect subjunctive.

< Previous | Next >