FR: I've been waiting for you!

< Previous | Next >

BigCuzz

English - UK
This must've been done before, so I'm sorry to be a pain. But, being English, I find myself saying : "I've been waiting for you!" meaning that I am still waiting for you, that I've been waiting for you since ... and I don't know if I should say : "Je t'attends" or "Je t'ai attendu". I have the impression that there's a 'silent' "for an hour" / "all morning" etc, as in "depuis", in which case I'd use "je t'attends" but I'm not convinced. It doesn't seem enough.
Apologies again. No doubt you'll just point me at a thread, which would be cool. Thanks o_O

• tartopom

French
    'I've been waiting for you for one hour / since this morning' means ' Je t'attends - depuis une heure / depuis ce matin. - et je t'attends toujours.

I waited for you - and I'm no more waiting for you - is ' Je t'ai attendu(e)'. - et je ne t'attends plus.

Lacuzon

French - France
    Bonjour BigCuzz,

Most of the time a present perfect continuous will be translated with présent in French. In your context, the most common option is to use ça fait.

I've been waiting for you (for a while) = ça fait un moment que je t'attends.
    I've been waiting for you for 1 hour = ça fait une heure que je t'attends.
    I've been learning French for 2 years = ça fait 2 ans que j'apprends le français.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >