FR: j'en eus vite assez de les recevoir

gson

Korean
hello!
this is a sentence from 'persepolis' writtenby marjane satrapi.

"même si je savais qu'ils venaient tous me voir par amitié et gentillesse,
j'en eus vite assez de les recevoir tous les jours."
(meaning.. immediately i became tired of their visit everyday.... right?)

i guess 'en' means 'de les recevoir' here, and the writer just repeated it.
right? or does this signify another one?

Last edited:
  • yourfairlady05

USA
    English - United States
    I think its like the phrase "j'en ai assez" (similar to j'en ai marre). Quite simply meaning she was fed up, she was tired of it. I think the "en" here is part of the phrase and "de les recevoir" is completely unrelated to "en"

itka

français
    I think its like the phrase "j'en ai assez" (similar to j'en ai marre). Quite simply meaning she was fed up, she was tired of it. I think the "en" here is part of the phrase and "de les recevoir" is completely unrelated to "en"
    Oui...et non. Il me semble que, dans l'expression "j'en ai assez" le "en" remplace une expression sous-entendue qui serait bien : "J'ai assez de quelque chose" et souvent, ce "quelque chose" est exprimé par une tournure d'insistance : "J'en ai assez, de cette vie !" "J'en ai assez, de toi !" "J'en ai assez, de faire tout le ménage !"
    Ici, je crois que "J'en ai assez, de les recevoir" signifie bien "J'ai assez de les recevoir"...
    immediately i became tired of their visit everyday
    gson, I wouldn't likely translate "vite" by "immediately"... I'd say something like "soon".

radagasty

Australia, Cantonese
    immediately i became tired of their visit everyday.... right?
    Likewise, everyday isn't suitable here since it is an adverb that modifies 'became'. Daily visit is a possibility, but why not simply go for a more literal translation: I quickly tired of receiving them every day.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >