FR: jouer dans la cour des grands

Aliph

Italian (North)
Comment pourrait-on traduire en arabe cette expression? Y a-t-il un équivalent?
Ici ma tentative de traduction, mais est-ce qu’on comprend le sens métaphorique ?
لَعِبَ في ملعب الكِبار
Merci d’avance.

Last edited:
  • thedude6752000

English-USA
    I think this forum is mostly English-Arabic. For those who can't read French, he wants to translate a French expression meaning literally "to play on the adults/big kid's court" id est "to play in the big leagues" which he translates as "لَعِبَ في ملعب الكِبار " Makes sense to me but I'm not an Arabic native speaker.

OP: je comprende ce que vous voulez dire mais je ne sius pas sur si ca marche ou pas parcque je suis americain pas arabe, j'ai traduit la question en anglais

Aliph

Italian (North)
    "to play in the big leagues" which he translates as "لَعِبَ في ملعب الكِبار " Makes sense to me but I'm not an Arabic native speaker.
    Hello thedude, thank you very much. I should have inquired first in the French-English forum, but recently there was a thread here in French which animated me to do the same. So I ask our native Arab speaking friends how would you translate to Arabic
    "to play in the big leagues"? In the sense of doing something that you wanted to do since a long time and which consist of an upgrade. to be involved in something of large or important proportions. (Alludes to playing a professional sport at the highest level)
    play in the big leagues

Last edited:

elroy

Imperfect Mod
    US English/Palestinian Arabic bilingual
    Hi Aliph,

Questions about French-Arabic are welcome here.

Can you explain what the French expression means (figuratively, not literally), maybe with an example?

Aliph

Italian (North)
    Hi Elroy, the idea is that a child who is in first grade at school plays during استراحة outside in the schoolyard and watches the older kids playing and admires them and hopes to be able someday to be as good as they are. It is used metaphorically the same way as the idiom thedude proposed.
    I was thinking of it while I was reading a thread here in the Arabic section of WR, sometimes I feel like a kid who tries to play with bigger kids but isn’t ready yet or hasn’t the sufficient knowledge ;)

A better explanation in English
    jouer dans la cour des grands - Traduction anglaise – Linguee

It is also used in the context of big companies who would like to play a bigger role internationally or also to point out the faults of someone who isn’t prepared or never will be able to play or excel in a certain domain.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >