FR: Le monsieur a-t-il travaillé ? - inversion simple / double

< Previous | Next >

yichwang

Mandarin Chinese
Bonjour,

Je voudrais savoir comment écrire une question avec l'inversion simple (pas double), le temps composé (par exemple passé composé) et un nom dans une phrase. Est le nom placé avant le participe passé: A le monsieur travaillé?
ou après: A travaillé le monsieur?
J'ai essayé de trouver une solution, je n'ai aucun succès!

Merci beaucoup!

• yichwang

Mandarin Chinese
    Oui,
    Merci je sais, mais y a-t-il une façon de poser cette question avec l'inversion simple?
    i.e. "Court cet homme?" à la place de "Cet homme court-il?"

lucas-sp

English - Californian
    "M. X a-t-il travaillé" and "Cet homme court-il" are the ways to ask this question using basic inversion. I know it might seem weird to think of this as "just as basic as the other kind of inversion," but once you're fluent in French you don't even notice the doubling of the subject. (Another reason why the "inversion simple/double" distinction isn't helpful and just confuses beginning French speakers.)

lucas-sp

English - Californian
    You really, really aren't "repeating" the subject - i.e., to any French speaker it doesn't sound like the subject is being "repeated," or that there's any redundancy. The "extra" pronoun is just understood as part of the overall subject.

You can compare this to sentences like: "Moi, je n'aime pas les carottes" / "J'aime pas les carottes, moi" or "Michel, il n'est jamais à l'heure" (or even "Michel, il n'est jamais à l'heure, lui"). In French the subject is often "repeated."

So basically - yes, you have to "repeat" the subject, but no, it doesn't sound like the subject is being "repeated" and you should try not to think of it as "repeating" the subject. Just think of it as another aspect of conjugating the verb, perhaps, except this time the verb has to agree in number, person, and gender​ with its subject.

CapnPrep

AmE
    Merci je sais, mais y a-t-il une façon de poser cette question avec l'inversion simple?
    i.e. "Court cet homme?" à la place de "Cet homme court-il?"
    Non, l'inversion du sujet nominal n'est plus possible dans les interrogatives globales depuis le XVIe siècle… :) Mais on peut l'avoir dans les interrogatives partielles, par ex. Où court cet homme ? Combien de temps a travaillé le monsieur ? (À propos des temps composés : Le sujet nominal n'apparaît jamais entre l'auxiliaire et le participe : *Combien de temps a le monsieur travaillé ?)

lucas-sp

English - Californian
    Yup. But those are different kinds of questions than the one you asked about (they use question words/phrases).

< Previous | Next >