FR: le rôle créateur : visuel et culturel de la réception

Dubonnet

English - Australia
Bonjour,

Can anyone offer suggestions for the function of the colon in the following? It's from an essay on the avant-garde art of the 1930s.

Cette autonomie radicale de l'art [...] permettra à la jeune génération de créer à partir des critères exclusivement formels [...] tout en prenant en compte le rôle créateur: visuel et culturel de la réception.

Does the colon mean 'parce que', that is, the role of reception is creative, because it encompasses visual and cultural aspects? (In case anyone is wondering, 'reception' in this context refers to reception theory). Or should I just treat it the same as a comma?

Merci!

Last edited:
  • Maître Capello

Mod et ratures
    French – Switzerland
    The phrase is poorly written. Is seems like it should read:

… le rôle créateur, visuel et culturel, de la réception.

As for réception, I have absolutely no idea what it is supposed to mean in this context. But this is another question and you should ask it in the Vocabulary forum.

Dubonnet

English - Australia
    Hello,
    Thanks for your reply. So in that case, would it mean "the creative, visual and cultural role of reception"?

I am fine with 'reception', because it is used in English and has quite a specific meaning in an art history context - ie. how a text is read and understood by an audience. Although I may end up substituting it for "the viewer", because that sounds better in English.

The phrase is poorly written. Is seems like it should read:

… le rôle créateur, visuel et culturel, de la réception.

As for réception, I have absolutely no idea what it is supposed to mean in this context. But this is another question and you should ask it in the Vocabulary forum.

< Previous | Next >