FR: maintenant, en ce moment → à ce moment-là, alors - discours rapporté indirect

Discussion in 'French and English Grammar / Grammaire française et anglaise' started by flaneur, Mar 11, 2009.

1. flaneur Member

Australia
    English - Canadian
    I am learning about reported speech, how to translate from direct to indirect and the necessary changes for expression of time. I'm pretty comfortable with all of it, but I am confused about what en ce moment changes to because my book says:

maintenant ---> à ce moment-là
    en ce moment ---> alors

This doesn't make any sense to my brain, and it is contradicted in the exercises where:
    Tu m'avais dit: "En ce moment je suis découragé parce que tout ce que j'entreprends échoue." ---> Tu m'avais dit qu'à ce moment-là tu étais découragé parce que tout ce que tu entreprenais échouait.

It sounds right to me to go to à ce moment-là, but it is contradicting the rule 4 pages earlier in the grammar book. Have they made a mistake, or is it a contextual decision? (Or...?)

Thanks for reading.

2. Welshie

Welshie Senior Member

France
    England, English
    Pocket Oxford-Hachette French Dictionary © 2005 Oxford University Press:
    alors /alɔʀ/

1. adverb
    1. then;
    il avait ~ 18 ans he was 18 at the time;
    la mode d'~ the fashion in those days;
    jusqu'~ until then;

I cannot see any difference between "à ce moment-là" and "alors", aside the fact that "à ce moment-là" is somewhat more precise.

3. autap6 Senior Member

Brussels
    French
    Hello

Actually, in "En ce moment", -ci is implied. So -ci must be changed into -.

en ce moment -> à ce moment-là
    maintenant -> alors
    demain -> le lendemain

etc.

Just remember that you have to change only if the time and the place are different.

Exemple (Grévisse) :

- il m'a dit tout à l'heure : "Je partirai demain"
    - il m'a dit tout à l'heure qu'il partirait demain.

- il m'a dit (il y a quinze jours) : "Je partirai demain"
    - il m'a dit qu'il partirait le lendemain

Patrick