FR: my parents banned me

dogsrule

New Zealand, English
Hi

:confused:I'm just a bit confused about reflexive verbs. I want to say my parents banned me from going shopping because everytime I go, I spend lots of money on clothes and presents and toys for my younger brothers.

The full sentence I have so far is:
Ma mère me dit que je dois faire des économies pour l'université, donc mes parents me suis/sont interdits faire du shopping parce que normalement je dépense beaucoup d'argent achat les vêtements, les cadeux et les jouets pour mes frères cadets.

I'm just really confused about which to use when using reflexive verbs in the perfect tense, whether to use suis or sont in this case.:confused::confused::confused::confused:

Thanks for the help:D:D

Last edited:
  • tiastre

Ma mère me dit que je dois faire des économies pour l'université, donc mes parents m'ont interdit de faire du shopping parce que normalement je dépense beaucoup d'argent achat ldes vêtements, les cadeux et les jouets pour mes frères cadets.

parents is the subject of the verb thus you have to use "ont" (and not "sont" because with the verb "interdire" we use "avoir" as the auxiliair verb but you would say je suis interdit to say I am banned from)

Fred_C

Français
    but if i am using a reflexive verb i thought i had to use "être" rather than "avoir"?
    It is not a reflexive verb.
    A reflexive verb is a verb that uses a pronoun "me" "te" "se" that represents the same person as the subject.

If you prefer, a reflexive verb is a verb that would use in English "myself", "yourself", "himself" ,etc...

Welshie

England, English
    For example:

"Je me lave" is reflexive because it means "I wash myself". "I" and "myself" both refer to the same person.
    "Tu te laves" is reflexive for the same reason.
    "Tu m'interdis de..." is not reflexive. You are forbidding me - not the same person.

< Previous | Next >