FR: ne plus de/du

< Previous | Next >

Dediteach

English
Bonjour! I am looking at a text book and it explains how with ne... pas it is followed by de and d' but not du, des etc. It then moves on to other negatives like ne.. plus and ne...jamais and it doesn't mention about the de and d' rule. With ne .. jamais it shows an example with de (in place of normal du eg je ne mange jamais de sucre) but with ne ... plus it uses the example 'je ne joue plus du piano' Why is 'du' used there rather than de when other negatives only take de and d'?
Many thanks.

• Donaldos

French - France
    In French, the verb jouer is followed by the preposition de. In your example du is the contraction of de and the definite article le.

The rule mentioned in your book only applies to indefinite articles (un chien, une amie, des enfants) or partitive articles (du beurre, de l'eau).

J'ai une voiture. (indefinite)
    Je n'ai pas/plus de voiture.

Je bois de l'eau. (partitive)
    Je ne bois pas/plus/jamais d'eau.

Je joue de la flûte. (preposition followed by a definite article)
    Je ne joue pas/jamais/plus de la flûte.

Je joue du piano. (preposition and definite article contracted into du)
    Je ne joue pas/jamais/plus du piano.

Last edited:

Dediteach

English
    Thanks for your reply but still a little confused. I thought du was always a contraction of de and le? What is the difference?
    So if I wanted to say 'I no longer drink wine' I would say 'Je ne bois plus de vin' but 'I no longer windsurf' would be 'Je ne fait plus de la planche à voile'?
    merci

Donaldos

French - France
    Actually, du can be either a contraction or a partitive article.

For more information on the difference between the two, have a look here.

Dediteach

English
    Thanks. I have read it and it makes sense but I think I need to study it very carefully for it to sink in totally!

< Previous | Next >