FR: on it - dessus

< Previous | Next >

nadinita15

English - Australia
Salut,

if you want to say:
I'm going to work ON IT
I'm going to focus ON IT

would you use "dessus" if you want to avoid using/repeating the noun when you have talked about it before

e.g.

je vais travailler dessus
je vais me concentrer dessus

--> is this correct?

Merci d'avance!

• olivier68

French Paris France
    It is correct. But if the "ON IT" has been previously well-defined, you could also use:
    - je vais travailler/ me concentrer (sur) ce point
    - je vais travailler / me concentrer (sur) cela/ceci

nadinita15

English - Australia
    Génial! Merci beaucoup!
    Dernière question: Les deux structures sont-elles utilisées avec la même fréquence?

olivier68

French Paris France
    Je ne sais pas. Mes 2 propositions me semblent un peu plus "précises"... mais votre première proposition, formellement, n'en reste pas moins techniquement correcte.

olivier68

French Paris France
    En fait, il faudrait avoir un peu plus de contexte pour savoir quelle est la meilleure solution...

nadinita15

English - Australia
    Je ne pense pas que le contexte change grand-chose ....
    La phrase anglaise était: "If you stop using your phone all the time, you would be better able to focus on it" and the "on it" was referring to "studies or uni work"

Merci!

Maître Capello

Mod et ratures
    French – Switzerland
    Depending on the exact context, dessus may be totally inappropriate to translate "on it." In the first phrase, the pronoun y would be more suitable than dessus in some cases.

In the context you provided for the second phrase, dessus would not be my first choice – by far. I'd rather say:

te concentrer sur elles (= tes études)

P.S. The sequence of tenses in your English sentence isn't correct. Which of the following did you mean to say?
    If you stopped using your phone all the time, you would be better able to focus on it.
    If you stop using your phone all the time, you will be better able to focus on it.

< Previous | Next >