1. bhhastin

bhhastin Member

Arizona
    English
    So, Patricia has some dinner rolls in a bag. A friend comes along and asks her what's in the bag. She tells him to smell the bag and if he can tell her what's in it, she'll give him one.

This is what I have so far, that I'm not sure about:

Je t'en donne un.

I was more concerned about the last part, that means, "I'll give you one (of them)." but if there is anything else in there that needs adjusting, I'd appreciate any advice!

Merci!

Moderator note: Multiple threads merged to create this one.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 7, 2013
  2. djweaverbeaver Senior Member

English Atlanta, GA USA
    Hi,

You have understood correctly. If you'd like to learn more about the pronoun en in French, take a look here.

3. Maître Capello

Maître Capello Mod et ratures

Suisse romande
    French – Switzerland
    If you want the sentence to be in the future as in English, you should say, Je t'en donnerai un.

4. marcopolonian Member

American English
    In this context, "one" refers to something previously mentioned (specifically, a powerpoint presentation).

I'm not sure whether to translate this as "J'en créerai l'un", or "J'en créerai un".

Is it just that the second one is less formal than the first? Or is one of them actually incorrect?

5. Oddmania

Oddmania Senior Member

France
    French
    J'en créerai un ;)

J'en créerai → I'll make some.
    J'en créerai un → I'll make one.

En is needed in both sentences insofar as a quantity is involved, but adding l' isn't correct.

6. Terwexel Senior Member

nederlands
    Hello,

Context: two men are followed annoyingly by two other men. Then:

"The two started to throw pebbles at us. I felt one (of them) hitting me in the back"

How can one translate this?

"J'ai senti l'un (d'eux) me toucher le dos."

Or does the translation involve the use of en? "J'en ai senti un me toucher le dos."?

Thank you in advance.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2016
  7. Maître Capello

Maître Capello Mod et ratures

Suisse romande
    French – Switzerland
    Yes, you should use en : J'en ai senti un. But it wouldn't make sense to put any of those words in parenthesis.

By the way, I can't find a good reason for "of them" to be in parenthesis in English, and it would be even weirder in French.

8. Terwexel Senior Member

nederlands
    Thank you. I accidentaly placed the parenthesis, with another question in mind, which I will ask separately.