FR: passer - auxiliaire être / avoir

• SBcavalière

English-California
    My French teacher, and the way I teach my students, spelled it:
    DR MRS VAN DER TRAMPP with two p's. The P's are for Partir and Passer.
    Passer takes etre if you mean "to pass by" it takes avoir if you mean "to take (a test)."
    Hope that helps, it's a simplified explanation that should be easy to remember.

marcbloch

English--American
    I know that there are many threads on the subject of the verb "passer" so I apologize if I missed one where this might be discussed. I want to say "Three weeks passed and then the tragedy happened again." but I am confused about the choice of the auxiliary verb. Are either of these correct? "Deux semaines ont passé" or "Deux semaines sont passées'?

atcheque

français (France)
    Bonjour,

les 2 sont corrects, selon si vous voulez accentuer l'action (ont passé) ou le résultat (sont passées).

isanjulian

Español (España)
    Bonjour à tous,

Pour mettre l'expression Passer pour un pédant au passé composé on dit:

J'ai passé pour un pédant ou bien Je suis passé pour un pédant.

Merci d'avance.

Amicalement.

Maître Capello

Mod et ratures
    French – Switzerland
    Bonjour,

Il y a beaucoup d'hésitation dans ce cas et on trouve les deux auxiliaires, mais avoir est l'auxiliaire recommandé :

J'ai passé pour…
    (Je suis passé pour…)

Selon le TLFi, « Passer pour se conjugue avec avoir. »

Last edited:

Kelly B

USA English
    Hi FreddieFirebird, I'm not sure I understand your question, because the fact that it is transitive doesn't depend on the verb tense.

FreddieFirebird

USA
    English
    Maybe I worded that poorly. The verb passer, used this way, is transitive, yes? So that means, when you write it in Passe Compose, you use avoir as its helping verb. Correct? (because passer can be used with both etre and avoir, based on how the verb isused) Excuse my lack of accents, I am in a hurry!

Eman5

Arabic Egypt
    What about the following sentence : tu as / es passé combien de jours à la campangne. Is (combien de jours) a direct object so we should use (as)? or we should use (es)?

alokowich

English
    Et si on disait: "A l'examen oral tu es passé(e) avant moi" pourquoi est-ce que l'on utilise être au lieu d' avoir?

Maître Capello

Mod et ratures
    French – Switzerland
    Dans passer un examen, le verbe est transitif direct. Il se conjugue donc nécessairement avec l'auxiliaire avoir.

Dans passer avant qqn, le verbe est intransitif. Il se conjugue alors avec l'auxiliaire être.

Hildy1

English - US and Canada
    For "le temps a / est passé vite"
    Google Books Ngram Viewer

A convenient general rule that covers most cases, but not all:
    If passer is used to mean "go" (or "come"), use être in compound tenses. Otherwise, use avoir.
    Se passer, as a reflexive verb, takes être.

This of course includes the fact that avoir is used when passer is transitive.
    It also includes cases such as "J'ai passé pour un pédant" (#56 and #57).

b1947420

British English
    I thought only MRS VANDETRAMP verbs took être. Since when did passer start doing the same?!
    Best to use "Dr & Mrs P. Vandertramp" which will provide seventeen possible options for être and about eight of these can take both être and avoir depending upon transitive or intransitve usage.

Last edited by a moderator: