FR: prevent people from entering

Discussion in 'French and English Grammar / Grammaire française et anglaise' started by helpmespeakfrench, May 1, 2006.

  1. helpmespeakfrench New Member

    English Canada
    Hi and thanks in advance for reading this.

    For example:

    "L’étencil est un objet en papier qui nous aide à empêcher les vagues de cervelles des autres personnes de ENTERING l'appareil."

    I know that for present tense, I could easily say "I enter" or "I am entering" (J'entre), but I am not sure if that tense will work here.

    If that tense would work, my sentence would be:

    L’étencil est un objet en papier qui nous aide à empêcher les vagues de cervelles des autres personnes d'entre l'appareil.

    In english, I want my sentence to be saying

    "This (tinsel??) is an object made of paper which helps us to prevent other people's brain waves from entering the/this device."

    (I know it's a weird sentence, don't bother asking..)


    "L’étencil" is a word I was given, but I cannot seem to find it in the dictionary. I am looking to find a word meaning something like "tinsel", has anyone ever heard of "L’étencil"?? Or would I be better off using "le clinquant"??

    Thank you for your help. :)
  2. marget Senior Member

    Can you explain what you mean by tinsel? I don't think it can be le clinquant and I can't find l'étencil either. It sounds like a word someone made up based on the English, but I could be wrong.

  3. helpmespeakfrench New Member

    English Canada
    Do you know the shiny stuff hanging off the end of children's bicycle handlebars?? Or the silver tinsel hanging off Christmas trees.

    However, I am looking more to "paper tinsel" (It is for a project, I'm have long paper shreds hang from something, similar to tinsel), So I know that I would be able to use tinsel for this description.

    The paper I am describing is as if you were to put a piece of colored paper into the paper shredder, those long strips that come out the other side.

    Sorry if I did a bad job explaining myself, and thanks again for replying to me.
  4. marget Senior Member

    Christmas tree tinsel is "guirlandes de Noël". I think for a bike, I call it streamers. I wonder if "le serpentin" would work?
  5. Kelly B

    Kelly B Senior Member

    USA English
    I think you want the infinitive form of the verb to translate entering: entrer.

    Moi je ne sais pas comment traduire tinsel - je pense qu'il s'agit des bandes étroites de papier métallisé.

Share This Page