FR: prevent people from entering

helpmespeakfrench

English Canada
Hi and thanks in advance for reading this.

For example:

"L’étencil est un objet en papier qui nous aide à empêcher les vagues de cervelles des autres personnes de ENTERING l'appareil."

I know that for present tense, I could easily say "I enter" or "I am entering" (J'entre), but I am not sure if that tense will work here.

If that tense would work, my sentence would be:

L’étencil est un objet en papier qui nous aide à empêcher les vagues de cervelles des autres personnes d'entre l'appareil.

In english, I want my sentence to be saying

"This (tinsel??) is an object made of paper which helps us to prevent other people's brain waves from entering the/this device."

(I know it's a weird sentence, don't bother asking..)

Also,

"L’étencil" is a word I was given, but I cannot seem to find it in the dictionary. I am looking to find a word meaning something like "tinsel", has anyone ever heard of "L’étencil"?? Or would I be better off using "le clinquant"??

Thank you for your help. :)

• marget

Can you explain what you mean by tinsel? I don't think it can be le clinquant and I can't find l'étencil either. It sounds like a word someone made up based on the English, but I could be wrong.

helpmespeakfrench said:
    Hi and thanks in advance for reading this.

For example:

"L’étencil est un objet en papier qui nous aide à empêcher les vagues de cervelles des autres personnes de ENTERING l'appareil."

I know that for present tense, I could easily say "I enter" or "I am entering" (J'entre), but I am not sure if that tense will work here.

If that tense would work, my sentence would be:

L’étencil est un objet en papier qui nous aide à empêcher les vagues de cervelles des autres personnes d'entre l'appareil.

In english, I want my sentence to be saying

"This (tinsel??) is an object made of paper which helps us to prevent other people's brain waves from entering the/this device."

(I know it's a weird sentence, don't bother asking..)

Also,

"L’étencil" is a word I was given, but I cannot seem to find it in the dictionary. I am looking to find a word meaning something like "tinsel", has anyone ever heard of "L’étencil"?? Or would I be better off using "le clinquant"??

Thank you for your help. :)

helpmespeakfrench

English Canada
    Do you know the shiny stuff hanging off the end of children's bicycle handlebars?? Or the silver tinsel hanging off Christmas trees.

However, I am looking more to "paper tinsel" (It is for a project, I'm have long paper shreds hang from something, similar to tinsel), So I know that I would be able to use tinsel for this description.

The paper I am describing is as if you were to put a piece of colored paper into the paper shredder, those long strips that come out the other side.

Sorry if I did a bad job explaining myself, and thanks again for replying to me.

marget

helpmespeakfrench said:
    Do you know the shiny stuff hanging off the end of children's bicycle handlebars?? Or the silver tinsel hanging off Christmas trees.

However, I am looking more to "paper tinsel" (It is for a project, I'm have long paper shreds hang from something, similar to tinsel), So I know that I would be able to use tinsel for this description.

The paper I am describing is as if you were to put a piece of colored paper into the paper shredder, those long strips that come out the other side.

Sorry if I did a bad job explaining myself, and thanks again for replying to me.
    Christmas tree tinsel is "guirlandes de Noël". I think for a bike, I call it streamers. I wonder if "le serpentin" would work?

Kelly B

USA English
    I think you want the infinitive form of the verb to translate entering: entrer.

Moi je ne sais pas comment traduire tinsel - je pense qu'il s'agit des bandes étroites de papier métallisé.

< Previous | Next >