FR: respectivement - place de l'adverbe

Discussion in 'French and English Grammar / Grammaire française et anglaise' started by greatbear, Jun 16, 2012.

1. greatbear Banned

India
    India - Hindi & English
    I read in Le monde today the following:
    "En mai et avril, les ventes de bières, un produit hautement "météosensible", ont baissé respectivement de 6 % et 15 %"

I had the impression that placing adverb in 'between' the auxiliary verb and the past participle is good French; is that really so? Should "respectivement" be between "ont" and "baissé"?

2. Barsac Senior Member

region of Bordeaux
    french - français
    Not necessarily. mai = 6 % and avril = 15 %.

3. greatbear Banned

India
    India - Hindi & English
    Of course, I understood that; my question is why "respectivement" is not between the auxiliary verb and the past participle.

4. Chimel Senior Member

Belgium
    Français
    There is some liberty in placing "respectivement" in such a sentence. I feel the word order you quote in Le Monde the most natural, but you could also have the word order you suggest or after the preposition ("... ont baissé de respectivement...") or even, but rather in oral French, right in the end: "... de 6% et 15%, respectivement".

5. greatbear Banned

India
    India - Hindi & English
    Thanks! Is there any different shade of meaning conveyed by different positionings?

6. Chimel Senior Member

Belgium
    Français
    No, absolutely not.

The last one, with respectivement in the end after the comma, is more informal, but in any case everyone would understand the link between the two months and the two figures.

The only case where you have to place it before the verb is when the alternative concerns the verb itself: "... ont respectivement baissé et diminué de...".