FR: Si elle a écrit la thèse de Paul, elle l'aime

Honki

Japanese
Hi.

I’m a beginner of French. So, the question in this thread will be a low-level one.

Look at sentence (1) below:

(1) Si elle a écrit la thèse de Paul, elle l'aime.

Sentence (1) is a translated sentence of English “If she wrote Paul’s thesis, she loves him.”

I have already known the “Si” and “elle” in sentence (1) is a conditional marker and the subject.

Question:
How are the "a écrit” and "l'aime“ in sentence (1) explained grammatically?

Would you please give me introductory-level grammatical accounts?

Thank you in advance.

• arundhati

French - France
    Hi,
    I'm not sure what your question is about, as the grammatical structure is the same in French and in English.
    But in that case there is no direct conditional link, the sentence should be read as "If she wrote Paul’s thesis, it means that she loves him.”

Yendred

Français - France
    How are the "a écrit” and "l'aime“ in sentence (1) explained grammatically?
    "a écrit" is a past tense for the verb écrire. We call this past tense "passé composé".
    Usually, the passé composé matches the English preterit tense ("wrote" in this case).

In "elle l'aime", the subject is "elle" as you guessed, the verb is "aime" (present tense of aimer, which matches the English "loves"), and the direct complement is " l' " (elided form of the pronoun "le", which matches the English "him").
    Direct complement pronouns le and la must precede the verb, and when the verb begins with a vowel, they are elided into " l' ".

Last edited:

Honki

Japanese
    Hi,
    I'm not sure what your question is about, as the grammatical structure is the same in French and in English.
    But in that case there is no direct conditional link, the sentence should be read as "If she wrote Paul’s thesis, it means that she loves him.”
    Yes, as you said, the English conditional "If she wrote Paul's thesis, she loves him" means that "If she wrote Paul's thesis, it means that she loves him."
    I want to know information about a French sentence corresponding to this sentence.

"a écrit" is a past tense for the verb écrire. We call this past tense "passé composé".
    Usually, the passé composé matches the English preterit tense ("wrote" in this case).

In "elle l'aime", the subject is "elle" as you guessed, the verb is "aime" (present tense of aimer, which matches the English "loves"), and the direct complement is " l' " (elided form of the pronoun "le", which matches the English "him").
    Direct complement pronouns le and la must precede the verb, and when the verb begins with a vowel, they are elided into " l' ".
    Thank you for your comment, Yendred.
    Your account is very helpful.
    Once again, thank you.

I would like to ask you a question.
    In the English conditional "If she wrote Paul's thesis, she loves him", there is no direct conditional link, as was stated in Post 2.
    In fact, this sentence means that "If she wrote Paul's thesis, it means that she loves him" (see post 4).
    Is sentence (1)(= Si elle a écrit la thèse de Paul, elle l'aime.) interpreted as having no direct link, as well as the English conditional "If she wrote Paul's thesis, she loves him" is?

Yendred

Français - France
    Is sentence (1)(= Si elle a écrit la thèse de Paul, elle l'aime.) interpreted as having no direct link, as well as the English conditional "If she wrote Paul's thesis, she loves him" is?
    In French, we would rather say more clearly:
    Si elle a écrit la thèse de Paul, c'est qu'elle l'aime (= then it means that she loves him)

As is, "Si elle a écrit la thèse de Paul, elle l'aime" is not quite clear, is ambiguous, and is not natural French.

Honki

Japanese
    Yes, indeed, I hear that "Si elle a écrit la thèse de Paul, c'est qu'elle l'aime" is more natural French expression than sentence (1) (= Si elle a écrit la thèse de Paul, elle l'aime).
    However, I would like to know whether or not French conditionals like sentence (1)(= Si elle a écrit la thèse de Paul, elle l'aime) have direct link.

Last edited by a moderator:
    < Previous | Next >