FR: Singing is more interesting than swimming

Discussion in 'French and English Grammar / Grammaire française et anglaise' started by tamitha, Jun 23, 2009.

1. tamitha New Member

English
    In my French class, I ran across the issue of gerunds, specifically, when I compare them. For example, comparing swimming to singing.
    “Singing is more interesting than swimming."
    How would this be written in French?
    Would you use the normal form of the verb singing (chanter) and swimming (nager)? Like “Chanter est plus intéressante que nager”
    I would assume not, and that they change forms, and I know how to do that if the verb was associated with a pronoun, but if it is stand-alone, like in this case, what would the appropriate form?
    How am I supposed to alter these verbs?

Thank you,
    Tamitha

2. Forero Senior Member

Houston, Texas, USA
    USA English
    I would say "Le chanter est plus intérresant que le nager" or "Il est plus intérresant de chanter que de nager."

French does not have gerunds, so the normal form (infinitive) is its only verbal noun.

3. Nicomon

Nicomon Senior Member

Montréal
    Français, Québec ♀
    Hello,

I'm sorry to say that your first suggestion doesn't work. :( Chanter and nager are verbs, so they cannot be preceded by an article.
    To use nouns, you'd have to say : La chanson est plus intéressante que la nage.

Incidentally... welcome to the forum, tamitha. :)

4. lrosa Senior Member

Dublin
    English - Ireland
    How about "Chanter, c'est plus intéressant que nager"? Does that work?

5. pointvirgule

pointvirgule Senior Member

Mtl, QC
    langue française
    Oui, décidément.

Edit - Sorry, brain cramp. What I meant to say is that one way to translate gerunds into French is to use infinitives.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2009
  6. Forero Senior Member

Houston, Texas, USA
    USA English
    Is "Chanter est plus intéressant que nager" a good sentence?

7. tamitha New Member

English
    First of all, why is it "La" as opposed to "Le"? Also, how do you know to use chanSON instead of chanter, and nage as opposed to nager?

8. pointvirgule

pointvirgule Senior Member

Mtl, QC
    langue française
    Oops, my mistake. It should be: Chanter est plus intéressant que de nager.

9. Monsieur Hoole Senior Member

Canada English

chanter and nager are verbs, so can't have articles.

chanson and nage are nouns. all nouns in french are either masculine (le) or feminine (la).

M. H. :)

10. tamitha New Member

English
    Okay, I think I understand. Would "Le chant est plus intéressant que la nager" be appropriate then?
    Also, would that mean "the singing is more interesting than the swimming"?
    Because if that is so, that is not what I was trying to get at. Is there a way to say simply singing and not THE singing? Like, "chant est plus intéressant que nager"? Or would I have to include the act of singing, like "L'acte de chant est plus intéressant que l'acte de nager"?

11. Nicomon

Nicomon Senior Member

Montréal
    Français, Québec ♀

12. tamitha New Member

English
    No, that was just wonderful. Thank you!