FR: some of whom are retired

Gemsh

English-Australia
Hello all,

I wanted to say, "Half of my students are adults, some of whom are retired and who..." (I admit this sounds heavy in English, and I would normally rephrase this).

Is it correct to say, "dont certains sont des retraités qui.." or "dont certains sont retraités"? I'm not sure if I can repeat "de" when I've used "dont". I know I could say, "dont certains sont à la retraite", but it would be clumsy to add "qui" after "à la retraite".

Merci d'avance !

• Maître Capello

Mod et ratures
    French – Switzerland
    Is it correct to say, "dont certains sont des retraités qui.."
    It is correct, but not for the reason you suggested! :) If you add des, you actually add an indefinite plural article, which has nothing to do with the preposition de included in dont. As a matter of fact, you may say either:

Certains sont retraités. :tick:
    Certains sont des retraités. :tick:

See also:
    FR: être/devenir (un) esclave - article
    FR: être/devenir (un/une) + profession/fonction - article ?
    FR: être (un) anglais - article

but it would be clumsy to add "qui" after "à la retraite"
    The only problem is that, in both languages, you don't really know who qui is referring to: half of your students who are adults or only the retired ones.

Half of my students are adults, some of whom are retired and who…
    La moitié de mes étudiants sont des adultes, dont certains sont à la retraite et qui…

OLN

French - France, ♀
    "Half of my students are adults, some of whom are retired and who..."
    Comme il n'y a pas de virgule avant and, je comprends que who a pour antécédent "the adults who are retired".

La moitié de mes étudiants sont des adultes, parmi lesquels des retraités qui...
    " " ", dont des retraités qui...
    La moitié de mes étudiants sont des adultes. Certains d'entre eux sont retraités et…

< Previous | Next >