1. Chiquita23 Senior Member


    Comment dit-on en français 'We talk about them all the time' (them=a pop group).

    On les parle tout le temps


    On parle d'eux tout le temps?

    Merci d'avance
  2. jann

    jann co-mod'

    English - USA
    If you write on les parlent it means "we speak them" -- so you would have to be talking about multiple languages, or the sentence wouldn't make sense. :) Les is a direct object pronoun.

    "To speak about something" is parler de qqch. The thing you talk about is not a direct object, so you cannot replace it with les. You have to maintain preposition de in one form or another order to keep the idea of "about." If you talk about a thing then you can replace [de + thing] with the pronoun en to give on en parle. But we don't generally use en to speak of a person or specific people (more info here); instead we use parler de (d') lui/elle/eux/elles.

    A pop group is trickier, because it is a thing made up of people. If you mean that you talk about the band members, those are specific people, so I would say you should use eux. But if you just mean that you often mention the band as an entity, or the band's music, etc., then I would lean towards en.

    I'd be curious to hear what the native speakers think.
  3. Chiquita23 Senior Member

    Merci beaucoup!

Share This Page