FR: un/le flamant rose - article

lalaba

Dutch-Belgium
To create a book about l'ABC des animaux, would you write the animals with
Articles défini or indéfini in front?

For example: un flamant rose or le flamant rose ?

[…]

Last edited by a moderator:
  • yannalan

france, french, breton
    In a title, a generalization, yes we use "le flamant rose". ("le flamant rose, sa vie, ses moeurs..." for example)

lalaba

Dutch-Belgium
    The appropriate article really depends on full context, which you haven't provided. In what sentence do you intend to use flamant rose?
    Hi, It's not in a sentence, it's just for a poster with the alphabet and for the letter "F" I depict un/le flamant rose. I could just say 'flamant rose' but it's better to add whether it is a feminine or masculine name, hence why I wonder if I should say le or un flamant rose...

Maître Capello

Mod et ratures
    French – Switzerland
    In that case I'd rather use the indefinite article, for two reasons:
    1. You depict a flamingo, not "the" flamingo. To describe it, you'd say, C'est un flamant rose, not, C'est le flamant rose.
    2. The indefinite article always shows a clear gender even before a vowel as it never gets elided, unlike the definite article (e.g., if for letter A you depict a bee (abeille), it would read une abeille and not l'abeille, where you can't know the gender).

Last edited:

lalaba

Dutch-Belgium
    ok, you're right. Especially for argument nr 2 , it is preferable to use the indefinite article. :thumbsup:

< Previous | Next >