FR: une quiche que j'ai fait réchauffer

• JohnGivrolta

Gibraltar - English
    This is because the use of the word "faire" refers to the reheating of the quiche, "faire rechauffer", in other words it has a transitive use. The preceding direct object rule for the agreement of the past participle only applies to intransitive verbs.

Maître Capello

Mod et ratures
    French – Switzerland
    Quiche is not the COD of faire ; it is the COD of réchauffer.

J'ai réchauffé la quiche. (quiche = COD of réchauffer)
    J'ai fait réchauffer la quiche. (réchauffer is a kind of COD of faire; quiche = COD of réchauffer) → La quiche que j'ai fait réchauffer.

But:

J'ai fait cette quiche. (quiche = COD of faire) → La quiche que j'ai faite.

Maître Capello

Mod et ratures
    French – Switzerland
    I disagree with your explanation, Maître Capello. Quiche is the COD of faire rechauffer, and NOT of rechauffer.

faire rechauffer is a causative construction which does not take the agreement. See: http://french.about.com/library/verb/bl-causative.htm

I hope that link can clarify things for you, pHOeBeBB.
    I disagree with you but won't argue any further… Anyway the point is here that quiche is not the COD of faire alone…

SwissPete

Français (CH), AE (California)
    Interesting discussion (and very civil, too ;) ), but for another perspective:

Why not say « J'ai acheté une quiche lorraine et je l'ai réchauffée au four ».

Areyou Crazy

England English speaker
    je crois que tu as changé le sens swiss pete...(je veux dire que c'est possible que quel qu'un d'autre aurait fait l'action)
    tu as dit l'actif
    et ils ont dit le passif (je crois) en tout facon je crois que tu as dit QUI a fait le réchauffage.. mais bon je ne sais pas mais la quiche est bien cuite maintenant et il est tard

z

reine-des-bides

France - French
    As far I'm concerned, I use both and actually both sound correct.
    But you know, it's like the problem with the word "afternoon" (après-midi, french don't know if it is "un" or "une" après-midi), sometimes we can't really explain...

< Previous | Next >