FR: until he or she shall resign, become incapacitated, or be removed

Sarah Q

English - United States
Hello all,

I'm trying to translate a phrase where "jusqu'à ce que" is followed by more than one event. The verbs that follow are a combination of reflexive and passive voice, and I think that has thrown me off. The other thing is that this phrase is part of a formal legal document and I need it to be absolutely correct! Can anyone help me with this?

Here is the phrase I am translating from English to French:

Each member shall serve for life or until he or she shall resign, become incapacitated, or be removed.

And here is what I have so far:

Chaque membre est élu à vie ou jusqu’à ce qu’il se démette, soit incapacité, ou soit démis de ses fonctions.

I very much appreciate any advice you can share!

Thanks.

• janpol

France - français
    Chaque / Tout membre est élu à vie ou jusqu’à ce qu’il se démette / démissionne, devienne incapable / soit dans l'incapacité / d'accomplir sa tâche, ou soit démis de ses fonctions.

Lacuzon

French - France
    Bonjour,

C'est peut-être moi, mais je trouve que l'idée du futur ne se retrouve pas dans les traductions proposées.

Chaque membre sera élu /devra officier à vie à moins qu'il ne doive démissionner, ne devienne incapable ou ne soit démis.

Keith Bradford

English (Midlands UK)
    I think not, Lacuzon. The future is mal à propos (ridiculous even) in the English and you have no need to translate it into French.

The problem is that this is a lawyer's text and lawyers (especially American ones) have a passion for "shall" to express "must". So much so that they use it at every turn. Clearly here there is no suggestion of "must" resign etc.

Lacuzon

French - France
    Hi,

Thanks for your precisions.

So it means : Each member must serve for life or until he or she resigns, becomes incapacitated, or is removed.

Have I got it?

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >