FR: We will no longer hide

L'Ordre Sera Mort

English (Canada)
Hi! I'm relatively new to the language (if you exclude the six years of mandatory education in Canada that really only teaches you how to order a pizza, I've only been studying the language for ... maybe a month), and having (inexplicable) difficulty translating this phrase...I think I've got it, but can you help?

((First, when using "ne plus," you are supposed to put the verb in the middle, right? e.g. "ne cacher plus?" That's how I've seen it done, anyway...))

In English - We will no longer live in fear. We will no longer hide.

En français? - Nous ne vivrons plus en peur. Nous ne cacherons plus.

((Or, should I be using the compounded future tense, instead of the simple future? This next attempt looks both more correct and less correct to me, compared to the first one, which is why I can't figure it out, hahaa!))

Ou, possiblement... - Nous n'aurons plus vécu en peur. Nous n'aurons plus caché.

• jann

co-mod'
    English - USA
    Welcome to the forums! :)

First, just a little correction. If you're talking about hiding some object, you can use cacher. But if you're talking about a person who's going to go and hide, that person is "hiding himself," so you need the reflexive form se cacher.
    First, when using "ne plus," you are supposed to put the verb in the middle, right?e.g. "ne cacher plus?" That's how I've seen it done, anyway..
    Yes, you put the verb in the middle of this negation, but only if it's conjugated. If it's an infinitive, you put it last. :)
    --> ne plus se cacher (infinitive) // nous ne nous cacherons plus (conjugated)
    Or, should I be using the compounded future tense, instead of the simple future?
    It depends on what you want to say. The simple future is like the English future --> "We will not hide." The compound future, often called the futur proche, is like the English "going to + [do something]" --> "We're not going to hide, etc." = nous n'allons pas nous cacher.

So if you want to say, "We will no longer hide," then actually your first attempt with simple future was pretty good! :thumbsup: You just need to correct the reflexive conjugation for se cacher, using nous.
    Nous n'aurons plus vécu en peur. Nous n'aurons plus caché.
    This, I'm afraid, doesn't work so well. This is the futur antérieur. It's like saying "we will not have lived in fear." :p

Does this help?

la grive solitaire

United States, English
    Welcome L'Ordre Sera Mort! :)

Yes, you're right, ne...plus wraps around the verb, just as you've done. The simple future is fine!

Here's my try, but a native should confirm it for you:

Nous ne vivrons plus dans la peur. (vivre)
    Nous ne nous cacherons plus. (se cacher)

L'Ordre Sera Mort

English (Canada)
    :eek: < -- closest I could come to a blush, :D

It looks like I was just making it harder for myself than it was? (and maybe conjugating a verb incorrectly, but my ego won't allow me to admit that, ha).

Thanks bunches for all of your help! :)
    Merci à tout le monde pour votre aide! :)

< Previous | Next >