FR: which is healthy for the whole team

< Previous | Next >

Andreyevich

Australia/Britain - English
Hi, I'm trying to form a reasonably complex sentence, whilst being only a beginner when it comes to French. Here's what I'm trying to say (in English):

"Also, if one plays in a sports team, one will develop a team spirit, which is healthy for the whole team"

I translated my sentence above into:

"Aussi, si on joue dans une équipe du sport, on diviendra un esprit d'équipe, que est sain pour le tout équipe."

My questions are:
Is what I have written correct?
Do I need to replace "que" with "qui"?

Merci d'avance!

Second translation attempt:
"Aussi, si on joue dans un équipe du sport, on formera un esprit d'équipe, que améliorera le tout équipe"

Moderator note: multiple threads merged to create this one

Last edited by a moderator:
  • radagasty

Australia, Cantonese
    The pronoun you need is qui as the pronoun stands in place of the subject in the relative clause. The relative pronoun aside, the sentence is, on the whole, a little unsatisfactory in my opinion (although a native speaker might disagree here).

Another possibility (probably equally unsatisfactory) might be:

De plus, en jouant dans une équipe de sport, on stimulera l'esprit d'équipe, qui sera bénéfique à toute l'équipe.

Actually... it seems to me that something is faulty in the logic of the sentiment expressed by this sentence.

Gil

Français, Canada
    Suggestions:
    Si on pratique un sport d'équipe, on développera l'esprit d'équipe, ce qui est sain pour tous.
    (Having written "équipe" twice, I did not dare repeat it...)

tilt

French French
    Radagasty said it right about why to use qui rather than que. But I'd change several things in his translation, and your, Anderyevitch:
    -> I agree De plus sounds better than Aussi, but si on joue and en jouant are not really the same to me, just like if one plays and by playing.
    -> I wondered if which refers to the team spirit or to the fact of developing it. These interpretations wouldn't lead to the same translation. In the following sentence, just drop ce to say the former case.
    -> Repeating the same word always sounds odd, in French. Trying to compose sentence in a way that avoids repetition is better.

Thus, I suggest:
    De plus, si on pratique un sport collectif, on développera un esprit d'équipe, (ce) qui est sain/bon/bénéfique pour tout le groupe.

Gil

Français, Canada
    Radagasty said it right about why to use qui rather than que. But I'd change several things in his translation, and your, Anderyevitch:
    -> I agree De plus sounds better than Aussi, but si on joue and en jouant are not really the same to me, just like if one plays and by playing.
    -> I wondered if which refers to the team spirit or to the fact of developing it. These interpretations wouldn't lead to the same translation. In the following sentence, just drop ce to say the former case.
    -> Repeating the same word always sounds odd, in French. Trying to compose sentence in a way that avoids repetition is better.

Thus, I suggest:
    De plus, si on pratique un sport collectif, on développera un esprit d'équipe, (ce) qui est sain/bon/bénéfique pour tout le groupe.
    :thumbsup:Bravo pour le sport collectif:)

Maddo

England, English
    Hi :)

Je vais au cinéma environ une ou deux fois par mois, que je pense est assez souvent.

The second clause (je pense est assez souvent) isn't relating to the subject or the object (I and the cinema) as far as I can see so would I be right to use que or qui here ? :confused:

Maddo

England, English
    Hmm :/

If that means what is quite often?, then it's a question about do you go to the cinema often and the answer is 1/2 times a month, which I think is quite often.

ouistiti

GB, Russian
    Yeah I meant that as a suggestion: Je vais au cinéma environ une ou deux fois par mois, ce qui, je pense, est assez souvent.

However I am not a native speaker, so it's better to wait for another opinion :)

tilly08

English
    Hi,

I have a sentence to translate into French and I am unsure of which word to use for 'which'? que, qui, lequel?

The sentence = Regional languages have been suppressed by the French governement since the Revolution, which has almost eliminated them.

My attempt = Les langues régionales ont été supprimées par le gouvernement depuis la Révolution, qui a presque les eliminées? :confused:

Can anyone help me?

Last edited by a moderator:

xmarabout

French - Belgium
    Perfect but I would say "qui les a presque éliminées" (change de place of the "les")

< Previous | Next >