FR: Wine from these grapes I shall be treading surely

< Previous | Next >

andyleggett

American English
Bonjour,
I am trying to translate a poem by Edna St. Vincent Millay, "Wine From These Grapes", and having trouble with translating the infinitive to French:
"Wine from these grapes I shall be treading surely
Morning and noon and night until I die."
My question is that, after the future, should I put "treading" ("fouler") in the infinitive, or present continuing ("foulant")?
Merci

• Guill

Français - France
    Hello,

I have to confess that I can't really understand your question. In fact, I can't see any future here (neither in English nor in the possible French translation). Could you share with us your attempt so that we can become aware of what the problem might be, please ?

andyleggett

American English
    The translation I came up with was
    "Le vin de ces raisins je serai fouler
    le matin et le midi et la nuit jusqu’à je meurs."

In this case she is saying "I will be treading these grapes continuously until I die." So, it's essentially a continuous action in the future; so my question is: is infinitive for continuing actions, or do I need the -ant ending?

Guill

Français - France
    Le vin de ces raisins que je foulerai matin, midi et soir jusqu'à ma mort.

"matin, midi et soir" : set expression in French to mean "almost all the time", that definitely seems to fit here :)

Note : there's no continuous tense in French, so absolutely no reason to write "être + verb", unless it's an idiom or another form.

andyleggett

American English
    Le vin de ces raisins que je foulerai matin, midi et soir jusqu'à ma mort.

"matin, midi et soir" : set expression in French to mean "almost all the time", that definitely seems to fit here :)

Note : there's no continuous tense in French, so absolutely no reason to write "être + verb", unless it's an idiom or another form.
    Well, just using the future seems a bit too direct to me... I mean, the action in the original isn't an intransitive action, but rather a continuing state... Conversely: I went for "je meurs", because it's a direct action halting her continuous action that comes before. So I wanted a grammatical structure that would reflect that... does that make any sense?

< Previous | Next >