FR: wished that France would no longer be

babelfish244

English
Hello,

I have a sentence where the tense would normally be conditional, but the preceding phrase causes the subjuncive. My grammar book does not give a tense for the subjunctive in the conditional. Why is there not one and which other type of subjunctive do I therefore use- present?

Here is my sentence:

'Beaucoup de français ont voulu que la France ne 'etre' plus une monarchie absolue'

It would say 'that France would no longer be' but now I need it in the subjunctive- how does this translate, what do I use and why?

Merci d'avance

• betle

English-NY,USA; Spanish-Lima,PE
    Hello,
    I personally do not see a possible action that could depend on some condition (no need for the conditional). However, I do see the need for the subjunctive.

My take: Beaucoup de français ont voulu que la France ne soit plus une monarchie absolue.

Many French (people) wanted/wished that France no longer be an absolute monarchy. (A possible translation???? If so, no need to add would.)

I'm also a French student but I decided to make a stab at this to learn more French. Please wait for comments from the natives.

Regards

Last edited:

babelfish244

English
    Pas des erreurs, alors des erreurs que je peut voir :)
    Have you found that in French they tend to stick to fewer tenses than in English. I translate alot of tenses in French that I am told to just use the past or present for.
    Donc, je pense que vous êtes correct, c'est peut-être juste le present subjonctif
    Alors, merci beaucoup

timboleicester

English - UK
    Hi there and good luck with your studies....

it might be worth pointing out that this topic is huge and there are lots of occasions when the rules are not straightforward and there are lots of exceptions...having said that it is as well to think of the subjuctive as being required after certain verbs, in this case vouloir. As the tense is "ont voulu" then purists might argue that the appropriate tense of the following verb should also be past....

betle

Oui babelfish244, je suis d'accord avec vous!

Timboleicester, pourriez-vous nous donner un exemple au passé?
    As the tense is "ont voulu" then purists might argue that the appropriate tense of the following verb should also be past....
    Je trouve ce lien (je veux dire "thread") très intéressant.

Much obliged, merci d'avance.

betle

Thank you timboleicester. Eh oui, je vois le subjonctif imparfait! I guess it's baby steps when it comes to learning, esp. a foreign language.

babelfish244

English
    I see now that you can translate the subjoncif into a tense kind of like the conditional tense which I originally intended because it depends on the first verb so it is conditional. 'Many French wished that France would no longer be a monarchy'
    However, Timboleicester, my register is for an article which opens with a short narrative background, would the past tense be more suitable in terms of style here perhaps?
    Oui bien c'est très interessant

lrosa

English - Ireland
    I think what timboleicester meant was that the imperfect subjunctive "fût" is very rarely used in oral/informal French, but if you're writing an official-sounding article, I'd say it would make it all the more impressive to use this form!

timboleicester

English - UK
    Yes I do mean that. When I started learning the imperfect subjuctive even when grammitacally called for was losing ground to the present.....except for "etre" funnily enough, but even here you sound a bit "pompous" using it in everyday speech.

Maître Capello

Mod et ratures
    French – Switzerland
    Well, you should use the imperfect (or pluperfect) subjunctive only if writing a novel. Otherwise, just stick to the present and past subjunctives…

Beaucoup de Français voulaient que la France ne soit plus une monarchie absolue.

Note: As there are no future or conditional subjunctives, we usually use the present subjunctive instead…

< Previous | Next >