fraction

Sun14

Chinese
Hello, my friends,

I came across the sentence in Common Errors in English Usage:

It is mainly deal with the hyphen regarding fraction. I was wondering what does the second sentence mean:

"Fractions are almost always hyphenated when they are adjectives: "He is one-quarter Irish and three-quarters Nigerian." But when the numerator is already hyphenated, the fraction itself is not, as in "ninety-nine and forty-four one hundredths."

• Glasguensis

Signal Modulation
    English - Scotland
    A fraction is written as a numerator over a denominator. For example the fraction two-thirds has the numerator 2 and the denominator 3.
    The sentence is saying that when you write a fraction, if the number which forms the numerator already has a hyphen (for example forty-four), then you don't follow the rule explained in the first sentence (following the rule would result in forty-four-one-hundredths), but instead you retain the numerator's hyphen and write the fraction without hyphens, for example forty-four one hundredths.

Sun14

Chinese
    A fraction is written as a numerator over a denominator. For example the fraction two-thirds has the numerator 2 and the denominator 3.
    The sentence is saying that when you write a fraction, if the number which forms the numerator already has a hyphen (for example forty-four), then you don't follow the rule explained in the first sentence (following the rule would result in forty-four-one-hundredths), but instead you retain the numerator's hyphen and write the fraction without hyphens, for example forty-four one hundredths.
    Got it. Thank you very much.

< Previous | Next >