fractions

• andrue22

English-U.S.
    Spanish speaking people that I've spoken to see no need for fractions. They use decimals. Let's see if a native has anything more to say though.

steemic

English (US)
    To write it out it would be tres cuartos, ocho doceavas, cinco onceavas. I'm not sure if that was what you wanted to know or not. Fractions are still used in spanish.

sepoghi

Spanish-Mexico
    To write it out it would be tres cuartos, ocho doceavas, cinco onceavas. I'm not sure if that was what you wanted to know or not. Fractions are still used in spanish.

just one correction, I would normally say the masculine form "ocho doceavos" and "cinco onceavos". Is my impression that the only fraction that changes gender is "medio/media" probably due to its common use in sentences where the fraction is not followed by "de".
    cinco onceavos de naranja/cinco onceavos de limon
    media naranja/medio limon

Angiebot

España-Castellano
    I agree with Sepoghi.

Beware, though, of those people who tend to say the numerical expressions with -avo/s, when they should be using ordinal expressions.

For instance, a common mistake is to use "onceavo" instead of saying "undécimo" when they are talking about a 11th position or "doceavo" instead of "duodécimo" for the 12th.

Unfortunately, you can even hear on televison this common (and terrible) mistake.

Is any of this making any sense to you? Were you trying to ask for a different answer?

Cheers,

Ángela

Please, correct my mistakes!

Last edited: